Skip to main content

Book Review - How to stop worrying and start living

The internet is telling me that the Carnegie Library was founded in 1916 and named after a Scottish born American philanthropist Anthony Carnegie who donated £2,500 to establish the library. My wonder if the library in San Fernando in Trinidad was named after Dale Carnegie was answered and no it was not.

I have gotten much better at not worrying. I know the struggles from many years living with mental illness. This book is a welcomed input for my life's journey. A stepping stone to improving the way I handle situations and navigate life's challenges. I chuckled when the back of the book says "shows you how to avoid fatigue and keep looking young". People do tell me often that I look young for my age.

I liked the tone of the book from the beginning. This was someone who had gone through struggles himself and had first hand experience. He had interacted with many persons who had seen the worst of worries. As a teacher, the author is inviting. We are encouraged to live in the now. Imagine that today is the only life we have. The book was a calm read. The author shared others' experiences and it was comforting to know others had conquered worry and that we are not alone.

We worry less if we accept where we are. My mom likes to say, "worrying about sickness is worse than having the sickness". Worrying makes us more sick. The book gives practical advice and steps we can take.

A busy person and mind is less likely to have time to worry. Don't sweat the small stuff. Sometimes we worry about things that have little chance of happening. We would do good to be masters of the inevitable. Let go of what is out of our control. The cost of worry is too much. Save our energy for other things. Let go of the past. I advocate for an attitude of gratitude. Things can always be worse than they are. I found a quote in this book that lends itself to the photography journey I am on. The mind and spirit are very powerful and we should use this for our well being. Love is the answer. Do without expecting anything in return.

As you read this book there will be things that stand out for you like a light going on over your head. I could keep adding the things that stood out for me but then this review would be too long. I like that there is a recap at the end of each chapter to make sure that we got to the point.

It is wonderfully narrated through the experiences and thoughts of others who had to deal with worries. This book will change the way you think and act. It will tug at you to let go of the things that are holding you back. If I remember just one thing from this book, I want it to be, don't cry over spilled milk. I felt a beautiful serenity come over me when I was reading the chapter that talked about the value of God and faith and prayer. I understood it because I live it myself. When you find something so beautiful and abundant you just want to share it.

Reading this book had made me enthusiastic about reading more books and self help books. Books that can make me a better person. Books that make us think and see things differently. In the ending of the book, the author inserts thirty one stories told by others of how they conquered worry. One day I will write about how I deal with worry.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...