Skip to main content

Book Review - Slumdog millionaire

I remember watching AR Rahman accept the Oscar award for the movie and him stating, "All my life I have had a choice of hate and love. I chose love and I am here." I never watched the movie. Maybe I should. Half of my ancestry is from India and I was delighted to be taken to places and life on the continent through this story. The author uses descriptive language that brings the story to life. I was hooked from the get go. Ram was a likable fellow. I was cheering for him.

The story had me thinking about what I would do with a big win. It is somewhat scary. Would plenty of money bring bad luck? Would it really make us happy or would it be as the saying goes, more money and more problems. But on the other hand a big win could open the door to new possibilities. You never really know until and if it happens. When I went for lunch today I bought a scratch ticket and imagined some good fortune. I only won forty dollars.

The story explores the ills of society through the eyes of a young person. We really have to do better to make this world a better place. Being wealthy or powerful is as much a test as living in the slums. Do you use your wealth or power to make the world a better place? Reminds me of this thinking: We can ask God why does he allow the ills of this world but God can also ask us, why do we allow it? Many persons have been able to escape the wrenches of poverty but still many are left behind. The success of those gives some hope for others. If you made it out, don't forget where you come from and do what you can to make it better for others.

The idea to link the game show questions to stories from the protagonist's life was a novel approach that exemplifies creativity in writing. I am wondering how the screenplay writer came upon the book and how different the book is from the movie. I know when a book is good because I get really lost in the book and I don't want to put it down. The anticipation builds as the winnings pile on and another chapter of Ram's life is revealed and I have not an inkling of how this book will end.

By the way, my mind interjected, what is the meaning of slumdog? Google says, "A person who lives in the slums of cities." What is the origin? It originated with the movie and I read online that dog here means underdog. I love to root for the underdog. I can relate to being an underdog myself. Street smarts is just as important as book smarts. We can learn a lot from life situations and outside of the formal education system. I appreciated how Ram navigated life and his circumstances. The friendship between Ram and Salim is the heart of the story for me. Their bond is what grounds the reader in the midst of the chaos and uncertainty of their lives.

I love the moments of humour in the story. It balances the moments of tragedy. As if to remind us that life is a tapestry of emotions. We can find the good times among the bad times. I have reached a chapter dedicated to a love story. I smile. Is this like seeing the light at the end of the tunnel but is there more tragedy to come? The author is keeping me interested until the end. I love how the author connects events. As if things in life are meant to be. What an ending! My eyes water as I try to process my mix of emotions. I had become a friend to this story. I would have to say goodbye and tomorrow I move on to another book. And in the end I am left to think to myself, love is the answer.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Your writing is improving. I'm loving the development

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

Nur al-Quran

It is 1037am and I have decided to write. I have been listening to the Quran more and more. I have also been trying to learn Arabic casually through social media. I am nearing the end of my second reading of the English Quran. The Quran is the word of God and God also tells us to follow the sunnah and life of the prophet (pbuh). The Quran is a miracle. The more I interact with the Quran, the more complete I feel. It gives my clarity. I have a purpose. I have goals. I have things I should be doing. Islam is a way of life and it builds character. Sometimes I listen to the Quran to forget about this world. This world is not my home. My home is in the hereafter and God willing in heaven. The more I draw closer to the Quran, the more beauty I see and hear and feel. Same goes to God. Same goes for the life of the prophet (pbuh). Same for Islam. If these are all the things I have in this world, I am happy. Reminds me of one of the duas I say daily. I am content with Allah as my Lord, Islam as...

Rain

This is a chapter from my latest book called (G)rains (o)f san(d)s. Learn more about the book here . Thank you God for the rain. It has just started raining here. I can hear the pitter patter on the roof. I can see the dimmed light through the window. The greenery in the yard is enjoying every chance of rain. The days have been extra hot this year. They say we are experiencing a super el nino in Trinidad. Given this every bit of rainfall feels special. Water is life. Without water there can be no life as we know it. Rain is part of the water cycle. Rain falling is like therapy. A calm state comes over my body. My mind relaxes. I appreciate my home and my shelter to keep me dry and safe. The rain is mentioned as a sign from God in the Quran and how it gives life to a lifeless land. The rain complements the sunshine as part of nature's balance. Sometimes we have to endure storms and floods and even droughts but there are lessons in these events. Community spirit is heightened and our...