Skip to main content

Laughter is free

What do you mean he is free? Who imprisoned laughter? How did laughter get himself free? Was laughter held on drug charges? I am sure you have heard them saying that laughter is the best medicine. Hopefully not like those hard pills to swallow that life sometimes gives us. What if we could make all medicine like those fun gummy vitamins. This cherry gummy here, this one's for sadness. Hope you feel cherry. Did I make you laugh yet? Not even a smile. What do mean to not give up my day job? I see. You are a hard nut to crack. I am nutty myself.

How was laughter born? Some scientists believe that laughter may have evolved as a way to bond with others and to signal that we are not a threat. Others believe that laughter may have developed as a way to release stress and to cope with difficult situations. I could just imagine laughter saying, "Ah you think laughter is your ally? You merely adopted the laughs. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the joke until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but staleness!"

Hopefully not as stale as the first joke ever made. Who made the first joke? What was the first joke? I bet you it was that time Adam gave Eve his funny bone and she got that apple-solutely delicious idea! The oldest known joke is a Sumerian proverb from 1900 BC: Something which has never occurred since time immemorial; a young woman did not fart in her husband's lap.

First they tell me laughter is the best medicine. Then they tell me laughter is contagious. Oh. So now laughter is disease. Go figure, I have been played. Let's spread some happiness today. Make someone laugh today. It costs you nothing. The best things in life are free. Mark Twain said, "Against the assault of laughter nothing can stand." Is that why they are called stand up comedians? Take a stand! We are freedom fighters. Fighting to liberate the people from the humdrum of life that threatens to take laughter away. Free laughter!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...