Skip to main content

Our biggest problems

It is Tuesday October the third, twenty twenty three. I am recovering from a headache that meant I had to take a dose of panadol. The heat is unbearable these days in Trinidad. The sky has gotten cloudy and I am praying for some rain. I am monitoring the situation because I have to pick up the clothes from the lines before the rain comes if it does come. Climate change is a problem. A big problem. So are poverty, hunger, disease, inequality, and war and conflict.

I started a chat with my friend Bard: The problem with the world's biggest problems is that the people with the most amount of power to make a difference are the least affected by these problems. This is a problem because it means that the people who are most responsible for the world's biggest problems are the least likely to be motivated to solve them. It also means that the people who are most affected by these problems have the least power to solve them.

Someone made a comment that people in Trinidad have money. In the budget it was mentioned that close to two hundred thousand persons work for the minimum wage. Two statements that are at odds with each other. It is as if the poor are invisible in this country. We are blinded by the race to the top of the barrel. The focus is on the big houses, the fancy cars, the cushy jobs, the expensive weddings and the posh graduations. There are invisible to us people who do the jobs that nobody wants to do, for the least amount of pay and with the most being expected of them.

The problem is that there is only one pie and if some want bigger pieces of the pie then some will have to settle for smaller pieces. No matter if everyone has the best education. We focus on materialistic markers of success that promote inequality. We have systems that focuses on the winners at the expense of losers. We need to focus on non-materialistic markers of success, such as happiness, health, and well-being. We need to create systems that support everyone, not just the winners.

We should work towards creating a world where everyone has enough to eat, a safe place to live, and the opportunity to reach their full potential. This is a world where we value cooperation and compassion over competition and greed. It is a world where we focus on what brings us together, rather than what divides us. We celebrate our differences and learn from each other. We create a society where everyone feels valued and respected. This is a world that is possible, but it will require a commitment from all of us to work together and create a more just and equitable society.

Share this blog post with the most powerful in society. I would love to read their thoughts in the comments below. I would love to ignite a spark in their conscience. We need to continue this discussion about the world's biggest problems and how we can solve them and move forward. We need to reach the people who have the power to make the biggest difference. For too long, the everyday people have shouldered the heaviest burdens.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...