Skip to main content

To be intelligent is to be kind

Theodore Isaac Rubin once said, "Kindness is more important than wisdom, and the recognition of this is the beginning of wisdom." This shows that we are aware of our own limitations. We realize that we do not have all the answers, and that we need the help and support of others. We also realize that our own happiness and well-being are interconnected with the happiness and well-being of others. It reminds us that being a good person is often more important than being a knowledgeable one.

What is the use of being intelligent? Why do I want or need to be intelligent? I want to be happy and comfortable and I want others to be happy and comfortable. Can I have this without being intelligent? At an individual level I might not need to be intelligent but at the group level we need intelligent people. To be happy and comfortable we need to solve problems. We need progress and human development. We need to make the world a better place. None of this can happen without togetherness. Togetherness cannot happen without kindness and understanding.

Kindness makes sense of intelligence. It gives our intelligence purpose. It guides and motivates our actions. It only makes sense to treat others like we would want to be treated. An intelligent person aims for a higher purpose. What higher purpose can there be than love. Love is the most powerful force in the world. What better way to express love than through kindness. If we do not use our intelligence for good, then it is meaningless. If you want to be truly intelligent, then be kind.

There is a difference between intelligence and education. I believe that our education system needs to focus on producing good citizens rather than good workers. Good citizens are kind people who care about each other and the world. Let us teach kindness in schools. The education system is the one system that most people pass through. It shapes our societies and it is the foundation of human development. Intelligence is recognizing what is most important to us. Let us see kindness in everything that we do. Let it be at the core of our existence. A truly intelligent mind is one that is guided by a kind heart.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...