Skip to main content

What is happening in the tech space in Trinidad and Tobago

I had this idea to share a listing of what I could find that is happening in the tech space in Trinidad and Tobago. Share in the comments what you would add to this list. When you comment and share this blog post it will be encouragement to continue these posts into the future.

1. When I interviewed the minister in 2021 he stated "our flagship project is the development and implementation of a National e-Identity by 2022". This is still being worked on and I am guessing we would see this in late 2024 to 2025. MDT recently put out a vacancy for Project Coordinator (E-ID and Interoperability).

2. The UN in Trinidad and Tobago is hosting the Big Data Forum. This has been hosted before. The advertised website is bigdataforum.tt but is actually supposed to be bigdataforumtt.com. See their posting on facebook.

3. I have emailed to get more info about the Central Bank Regulatory Sandbox.

4. I have emailed to find out what happened to the bmobile-UWI Innovation Laboratory. Bard seems to think that there is a University of the West Indies (UWI) Tech Hub. Bard states that The UWI Tech Hub is a co-working space and incubator for tech startups and entrepreneurs. The hub provides startups with access to resources, mentorship, and networking opportunities. This would be nice if true. When I do a Google search what I get is the innovation lab that may not be in existence anymore. Lets hope I get a reply to my email.

5. PTSC is working on an app that tracks buses with GPS and allows for purchasing of tickets. This in addition to a fleet of electric buses.

6. Trinidad and Tobago has signed on to utilise India Stack. These are technology solutions developed by India that the rest of the world can share from. Learn more @ indiastack.org

7. The Trinidad and Tobago Cyber Security Incident Response Team (TT-CSIRT) of the Ministry of National Security will be hosting a webinar entitled “Trinidad and Tobago Cyber Threat Landscape Update 2023” during cyber security awareness month. Hopefully it is recorded in case anyone misses it. You can contact them about this.

8. Trinidad and Tobago Computer Society extracts the ICT related aspects of the recently announced national budget.

9. The UK High Commission collaborated with CMR Surgical and WestShore to introduce local surgeons to the Versius robotic arm.

10. Trinidad and Tobago are part of the Commonwealth AI consortium to empower small states and youth in new action plan.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...