Skip to main content

Atlanta

This is a chapter from my third book called Love letters

I was a young adult and just turned eighteen. I wanted to go to UWI. I did not think I would get a national scholarship and this turned out to be true. There were limited national scholarships in my days and there was no GATE funding. I would not be able to afford UWI and I made the decision to continue my education at Morehouse College in Atlanta. I was hesitant but my mom convinced me. My uncle also thought it was a great opportunity. I did not know much about Atlanta or Morehouse then. I knew there were Trinidadians attending Morehouse and I knew Atlanta had hosted the Olympics.

I was focused and determined to complete my schooling but I was missing home and my mom. I love Atlanta and Morehouse for giving me the opportunity and being my home away from home for four years. Morehouse is the alma mater of Martin Luther King Junior. He was a prominent leader of the civil rights movement. My time at Morehouse opened my eyes and heart to the struggles, aspirations and culture of the African American. Crown Forum is where I learned what it is to be a Morehouse man and felt community. I remember singing Dear Old Morehouse as I held the hands of the persons next to me. I am at an age and maturity where these things hold more value to me than my younger self then.

Most of my time was spent on campus. My time away from campus was mostly spent at a part time job I had doing telephone surveys. That was a learning experience because of my Trinidadian accent. I had to speak properly and clearly so that the Americans could understand me. The trains and buses were always fun to ride. My favorite treat was Popeyes chicken strips and seasoned fries and spicy honey mustard dip. I remember having to buy those five dollar phone cards to call back home. The malls were happening places to relax and have a meal. I remember walking from campus to downtown Atlanta some days. I remember relaxing in Centennial Olympic Park and walking through CNN center.

Atlanta is less crowded and busy than New York from my experience. It is more laid back and with that Southern hospitality and the winters are milder. My first Christmas break I took the Greyhound bus from Atlanta to New York. I remember being interested in the different radio stations along the way. I remember listening to country music at some points. Atlanta is home to the Atlanta Braves baseball team. Atlanta made me brave. I would leave my comfort zone in Trinidad and travel miles away to a strange and foreign land. I became a small fish in a big pond. Thank you Atlanta and Morehouse for your hospitality and keeping me safe on my journey. Thinking about my love for that time and place, I would describe Morehouse as the school of kings and Atlanta as the city of the brave.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...