Atlanta

This is a chapter from my third book called Love letters

I was a young adult and just turned eighteen. I wanted to go to UWI. I did not think I would get a national scholarship and this turned out to be true. There were limited national scholarships in my days and there was no GATE funding. I would not be able to afford UWI and I made the decision to continue my education at Morehouse College in Atlanta. I was hesitant but my mom convinced me. My uncle also thought it was a great opportunity. I did not know much about Atlanta or Morehouse then. I knew there were Trinidadians attending Morehouse and I knew Atlanta had hosted the Olympics.

I was focused and determined to complete my schooling but I was missing home and my mom. I love Atlanta and Morehouse for giving me the opportunity and being my home away from home for four years. Morehouse is the alma mater of Martin Luther King Junior. He was a prominent leader of the civil rights movement. My time at Morehouse opened my eyes and heart to the struggles, aspirations and culture of the African American. Crown Forum is where I learned what it is to be a Morehouse man and felt community. I remember singing Dear Old Morehouse as I held the hands of the persons next to me. I am at an age and maturity where these things hold more value to me than my younger self then.

Most of my time was spent on campus. My time away from campus was mostly spent at a part time job I had doing telephone surveys. That was a learning experience because of my Trinidadian accent. I had to speak properly and clearly so that the Americans could understand me. The trains and buses were always fun to ride. My favorite treat was Popeyes chicken strips and seasoned fries and spicy honey mustard dip. I remember having to buy those five dollar phone cards to call back home. The malls were happening places to relax and have a meal. I remember walking from campus to downtown Atlanta some days. I remember relaxing in Centennial Olympic Park and walking through CNN center.

Atlanta is less crowded and busy than New York from my experience. It is more laid back and with that Southern hospitality and the winters are milder. My first Christmas break I took the Greyhound bus from Atlanta to New York. I remember being interested in the different radio stations along the way. I remember listening to country music at some points. Atlanta is home to the Atlanta Braves baseball team. Atlanta made me brave. I would leave my comfort zone in Trinidad and travel miles away to a strange and foreign land. I became a small fish in a big pond. Thank you Atlanta and Morehouse for your hospitality and keeping me safe on my journey. Thinking about my love for that time and place, I would describe Morehouse as the school of kings and Atlanta as the city of the brave.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let the flowers bloom again

Small island but big heart

My Experience Setting Up FLOW's TG2492LG-FLO WIFI Modem

How can you make money online in Trinidad and Tobago?

Society united now