Skip to main content

Country

This is a chapter from my third book called Love letters

I was born on a tiny island at the end of the Caribbean archipelago in May nineteen eighty. These islands have been my home for most of my life. We are small in number and size but big in heart. The steelpan was born out of the ingenuity and creativity of the Trinbagonian people. The vibrant sounds of the steelpan mimics the hopes in our hearts. The people are a steelpan symphony where rhythms unite and cultures blend in harmony.

I love my country and my fellow man so I obey the laws. I love my country so I respect my elders. I love my country so I volunteer to help others. I love my country so I support local. I love my country so I do not litter. I love my country so I vote responsibly. I love my country so I am a good citizen. Loving my country does not mean that I have to be blind to its problems. Every country has its flaws but loving our country means that we are committed to making it a better place for everyone.

My country can count on me and I can count on my country in return. We are blessed with natural resources. We have a developing tech space that has seen the development of strong internet infrastructure. We are connected to each other and the world so that we can have our say and make our mark. We have education and health systems that are open to everyone. We have low cost electricity. We have a stable economy and governance. We have a beautifully warm climate. We are a land of opportunity.

Loving my country and the people means I will want to do my country good. I will want to see my country grow and develop. I will be part of the solutions instead of contributing to more problems. The true patriot Brian Lara has said, "I love Trinidad and Tobago because it is a country of dreamers. We are a people who are always striving to achieve our goals, no matter how difficult they may seem." I dream of Trinidad and Tobago where peace and freedom reaches every corner and person. I dream of having an impact towards this through my writing. This is my home and I love you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...