Skip to main content

Food

This is a chapter from my third book called Love letters

Our love affair with food started from the beginning of humankind when Eve could not resist the deliciousness of that rosy apple. It is human nature to love food. It is necessary for our survival. We cannot live without food. When we eat food, our brains release dopamine, a neurotransmitter that is associated with pleasure and reward. Food is often associated with culture, traditions and celebration. What is Eid without sawine or Divali without curry or Christmas without pastelle or Carnival without pelau?

Our love and need for food means we have to grow lots of it. My first experience with growing food started in primary school when we learnt to plant red beans in a container with toilet paper. We tended to our beans and watched them grow with amazement. We could have been the future farmers of our country for all we know. I did not become a farmer but in my adult years I have experimented with different crops in my home garden like pumpkin, ochro, tomato, bodi and pimento. From the pimentos I would make a delicious and fresh hot sauce.

I like my belly. I don't like having a belly and some abs would look nice on me though. They say a hungry man is an angry man and no one wants to be that angry man so we show our food some love. I love the convenience of food delivery apps. The wonders of the internet and technology has made it easier to show our food some love. I once had a food blog where I wrote about my escapades with cooking food. My love for food is also local for the usual like doubles, roti and pelau. Who can resist a bake and shark once they have gone to Maracas beach? How about corn soup from the Savannah?

Food is like a friend. For example, the down times when ice cream was there to pick me up like that Hagen Daz brownie macchiato. When money is tight we have to be creative and flexible with what we eat. Crix and cheese and Milo. Sada roti and fry aloo. Corn beef and macaroni. Dumplings and dasheen bush bhagi. They say we should eat to live and not live to eat. This is good advice and calls for some tough love. Everything in moderation and balance is the key. They say we are what we eat. Well I am delicious. I am a snack. Oh yeah, I can be funny too.

Growing up I loved snacks. Corn curls and cheese balls and Bongo and kiss cake were my regulars. My mom tells me that I used to tell her that my brain could not function without the snacks when I was studying for school so she had to run quick quick by the parlour and trust some snacks. Food brings people together. Cesar Chavez has said that, "If you really want to make a friend, go to someone’s house and eat with him … The people who give you their food give you their heart." All this talk of food has made me hungry. My stomach growls a serenade to the food I love.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...