Mom

This is a chapter from my third book called Love letters

My mom is without a doubt the best mom in the world. I remember as a child waiting outside the toilet for my mom. I did not want to leave her side. So much was the attachment. The years that I had to go live by my uncle in San Fernando and the years I spent abroad were some tough and sad times. There was no Whatsapp in those days to keep in constant contact.

As a single mother she did her perfect best to ensure that we had a solid upbringing. She did not get to go to secondary school and that had been a dream of hers. She wanted to get her passes and secure a good enough job and make something of herself. In later years she would work for about ten years in the hospital taking care of the sick. A noble cause that she will be blessed for. She understood the power of education to change lives and she passed that down to us.

She was the reason I passed for my first choice and she was the reason I graduated university. I am contented that she was able to have her dream come through through me. She speaks highly of me to everyone and she brings out the best in me. I love that she never forgets where she has come from. I love that she is responsible and level headed and wants to see us do good. She has been there for me through my struggles with mental illness.

Life is not perfect and we have had moments of squabbles but this has been in the minority. My love for my mom is encapsulated in the good memories we share. All the trips to Tobago, the bus rides to San Fernando, spending our last money on Food Drop delivery, that time I made her walk from the fort to Scarborough, cosy nights in my New York studio, days in the park and teaching me how to make sugar cake.

In Islam it is said that the doors of heaven lies at the feet of our mothers. My mother talks the talk and walks the walk. The soles of her feet have known struggle. She has stood the test of time. Her soul is a beautiful little lamp that lights the way for me and my sister. My love for my mom is as everlasting as time. Each beat of my heart whispers your name. Mom, my love for you is forever the same.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let the flowers bloom again

Small island but big heart

My Experience Setting Up FLOW's TG2492LG-FLO WIFI Modem

How can you make money online in Trinidad and Tobago?

Society united now