Skip to main content

Mom

This is a chapter from my third book called Love letters

My mom is without a doubt the best mom in the world. I remember as a child waiting outside the toilet for my mom. I did not want to leave her side. So much was the attachment. The years that I had to go live by my uncle in San Fernando and the years I spent abroad were some tough and sad times. There was no Whatsapp in those days to keep in constant contact.

As a single mother she did her perfect best to ensure that we had a solid upbringing. She did not get to go to secondary school and that had been a dream of hers. She wanted to get her passes and secure a good enough job and make something of herself. In later years she would work for about ten years in the hospital taking care of the sick. A noble cause that she will be blessed for. She understood the power of education to change lives and she passed that down to us.

She was the reason I passed for my first choice and she was the reason I graduated university. I am contented that she was able to have her dream come through through me. She speaks highly of me to everyone and she brings out the best in me. I love that she never forgets where she has come from. I love that she is responsible and level headed and wants to see us do good. She has been there for me through my struggles with mental illness.

Life is not perfect and we have had moments of squabbles but this has been in the minority. My love for my mom is encapsulated in the good memories we share. All the trips to Tobago, the bus rides to San Fernando, spending our last money on Food Drop delivery, that time I made her walk from the fort to Scarborough, cosy nights in my New York studio, days in the park and teaching me how to make sugar cake.

In Islam it is said that the doors of heaven lies at the feet of our mothers. My mother talks the talk and walks the walk. The soles of her feet have known struggle. She has stood the test of time. Her soul is a beautiful little lamp that lights the way for me and my sister. My love for my mom is as everlasting as time. Each beat of my heart whispers your name. Mom, my love for you is forever the same.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...