Skip to main content

Music

This is a chapter from my third book called Love letters

Music can take us back to a time and place and period. I am a child of the eighties. Imagine me trying to record a mixtape on a cassette player. Imagine me being hyper to the sounds of Apache Indian. I remember watching Madonna music videos on the old black and white TV at my uncle's place in San Fernando. I remember being pounded by the dub music in the maxi taxi that was customarily loud back in the day on my trips to and from school. Once I was hospitalized and found myself singing Jean and Dinah much to the displeasure of the nurses.

Music moves you. There is music for our different moods. I remember it perfectly. I was in my aunt's dance studio and the music came on and Red Red Wine started playing. I immediately took to their style. I eventually found out who UB40 are and the different songs. I have vibed to whole UB40 concerts in my room. Cheb Khaled is another that resonates with my personality and who can resist that awesome smile of his.

I love music from around the world. I love music with a positive message. I love songs that tell a story. My current playlist includes Bakermat, Ahmed Spins, Ed Sheeran, Dan Balan and SOJA. Take a song like "Favorite Song" by Toosii. The mellow flow of the instrumentals, the soulful mood and the lyrics that tugs at the heart strings and gives the feels. Such is the beauty of music. Music was an escape route from his issues as a youth and this is imbued in his creations.

Our Trinbagonian accent is described as sing song and Trinbagonian music is rich and diverse. From the social commentary of calypso to the river lime vibes of chutney to the colorful sounds of soca to the roots rock crossover fusion songs of Orange Sky. Pablo Casals has said that, "Music is the language of the soul." The soca was coined by Lord Shorty and is a portmanteau of soul and calypso. Soca was originally spelt "sokah" to reflect the East Indian influence. Such is the richness of music. My love for music are the drums of my heart.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...