Skip to main content

New York

This is a chapter from my third book called Love letters

I found this quote that sums it up for me, "Once you've lived in New York, even for a short time, it stays with you forever. It's like a love affair that never ends." These words are attributed to Joan Didion but this is possibly apocryphal. I spent a summer and one year after university working on Wall Street and living in New York. Before that I spent four years studying in Atlanta. For someone who came from a small island in the Caribbean big city life can feel dreamy. All these tall buildings and underground trains and crowded streets and big names. It does feel like they say, the concrete jungle where dreams come true.

Cost of living is high in New York and you do learn to appreciate the smallest of spaces. I lived in a small studio apartment in Brooklyn Heights that was close to train stations, restaurants, a cinema, a bookstore, a hardware store, Key Foods supermarket and Brooklyn Heights promenade. The promenade offers views of Manhattan and the Brooklyn bridge from across the river. Life was a real buzz and felt like living in the fast lane. I often would ride my bike over the bridge and through Manhattan and explore with the curiosity of a tourist. I reached as far as Staten Island carrying my bike over with the ferry. I once got a ticket for riding my bicycle on the pavement.

The new year I was there I tried to catch a view of the ball drop which does not make sense if you are not early and waiting for long hours. But like a never-see-come-see I still tried braving the wet and cold. During my internship we were taken to see the Blue Man Group perform and another time the Yankees play ball. With stories like these it is easy to see how easy it is to fall in love with the big apple. My friend Bard has told me of two theories of why New York is called the big apple. One is that the name originated in horse racing where the prize for winning was a silver apple. The other is that it originated in the jazz scene where the city was called the big apple. What I love about New York is the diversity of people and places. An amazing melting pot of peoples from all over the world.

My time in New York would have a sad ending as that was the beginning of my mental illness diagnosis. Life in the fast lane turned to a life of survival but fortunately and gratefully nurtured by the familiarity and comforts of island life that I call home. These days I am settled and content and I can look back with fondness at a place I once called home. A place that poets and writers have long written glowingly about. It is a city that has inspired and captured the imaginations of people from all over the world. New York was my old home and after twenty years can be considered an old love of mine.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...