Skip to main content

Trinidad

This is a chapter from my third book called Love letters

Trinidad is a beautiful place. Even in the chaos of problems that we face you can still manage to find things that put a smile on your face. My earliest memories of Trinidad are from the hills of Mount Pleasant in Arima. We lived in a rented downstairs where the roof leaked. There was a pitchoil stove in one corner. Outside there were mango trees. My mom tells me that the neighbor had a spring we could use when the water was locked off from the stand pipe. Chickens roamed freely and dasheen bush bhagi grew easily from another spring. We had a transistor radio working with battery as we had no electricity and light in the night came from a pitchoil lamp or flambeau. Many of our neighbors were as my mom describes them, mixture Carib people. Trinidad is a land of humble beginnings.

Now we have the latest model cars roaming the streets and tall buildings along the waterfront. We have more mobile phones than humans and we have wires that connect to our homes bringing the world to us. Back in the day you were lucky if you got O'Level passes but now many jobs require a degree. We have fast ferries shuttling the excited to and from Tobago. We had only one TV station back in the day that brought us Mc Guyver, Young and the Restless, Panorama and No Boundaries. No doubt the profits from oil and gas have been a blessing to development. But it may also have been a curse as we have yet to diversify the economy and we are facing modern problems that require us to work together and bring back the love.

What I love about Trinidad are the sights and sounds and tastes and smells of island life. I love drinking a cold coconut around the Queens Park Savannah. I love taking a drive in the red band maxi all the way to Arima and back. I love the quiet bus rides to San Fernando that gives me time to think and reflect. I love the sounds of the vendors in the Chaguanas market trying to sell me a bargain. I love the smell of salt water as I eat a bake and shark on Maracas beach. I love the sound of steelpan meeting arrivals at Piarco whenever that happens. I love the sounds of the drums on Emancipation day. These are the types of things that I want to hold on to and share.

My mom tells me that her favorite memory of Trinidad is taking the train to travel to school. Now the only trains we have are the LNG trains. Being Trinidadian for me is about making the best of what I have and having the freedom to be the best me. It is about not forgetting where I have come from and being involved and vocal about the future Trinidad I want to live in. I spelt Trinidad backwards and got "dadinirt". Bard tells me that "dadinirt" is a Trinidadian word that means to do something in a haphazard or careless manner or without thinking about the consequences. Never heard of this before and Google does not back up what Bard says. One of the example sentences Bard gave was "The government is dadinirting with the economy." As the famous words go, forward ever and backward never. My love for Trinidad marches forward.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

Rain

This is a chapter from my latest book called (G)rains (o)f san(d)s. Learn more about the book here . Thank you God for the rain. It has just started raining here. I can hear the pitter patter on the roof. I can see the dimmed light through the window. The greenery in the yard is enjoying every chance of rain. The days have been extra hot this year. They say we are experiencing a super el nino in Trinidad. Given this every bit of rainfall feels special. Water is life. Without water there can be no life as we know it. Rain is part of the water cycle. Rain falling is like therapy. A calm state comes over my body. My mind relaxes. I appreciate my home and my shelter to keep me dry and safe. The rain is mentioned as a sign from God in the Quran and how it gives life to a lifeless land. The rain complements the sunshine as part of nature's balance. Sometimes we have to endure storms and floods and even droughts but there are lessons in these events. Community spirit is heightened and our...

Nur al-Quran

It is 1037am and I have decided to write. I have been listening to the Quran more and more. I have also been trying to learn Arabic casually through social media. I am nearing the end of my second reading of the English Quran. The Quran is the word of God and God also tells us to follow the sunnah and life of the prophet (pbuh). The Quran is a miracle. The more I interact with the Quran, the more complete I feel. It gives my clarity. I have a purpose. I have goals. I have things I should be doing. Islam is a way of life and it builds character. Sometimes I listen to the Quran to forget about this world. This world is not my home. My home is in the hereafter and God willing in heaven. The more I draw closer to the Quran, the more beauty I see and hear and feel. Same goes to God. Same goes for the life of the prophet (pbuh). Same for Islam. If these are all the things I have in this world, I am happy. Reminds me of one of the duas I say daily. I am content with Allah as my Lord, Islam as...