Skip to main content

Walking

This is a chapter from my third book called Love letters

I never get tired of walking. On Runkeeper I have almost three thousand kilometers recorded but there has been more walking that has not been recorded in the app. I have dreams of one day walking some really long distance like from *San Fernando to Cunupia. That is forty kilometers along the southern main road and will take me about twelve hours to complete and years of preparation. Might be faster and shorter to walk up the highway route. But I do not think we are allowed to walk on the side of the highway.

Walking makes me feel good and this is supported by science. Walking causes increased blood flow and oxygenation, and release of endorphins. I find when I am walking I am calmer, my mind is clear and I can focus better, and I sleep better. My medications have weight gain as a side effect and walking helps me with weight control. Walking is a simple and effective exercise that is recommended by many doctors for all ages. Walking is good for the mind, body and spirit.

Some of my best walking memories were in Tobago. I would wake up early and make sure I have a good bowel movement and that I empty my bladder. I would check the weather. My phone would be charging from the night before. I loved hearing the runkeeper voice update me on my distance. I loved taking photos along the way. I loved the calm and peace of the morning and the sights and sounds and smells of Tobago. As a regular walker one thing you learn to do is stay calm at the sight of dogs. I might even have to change route or walk on the other side of the road. Dog poop is also something that you have to look out for. No one wants to step in dog poop. That would be a sticky situation to be in.

When I stayed at my uncle's place in Tobago I had several routes. I walked from Sou Sou Lands to Mt Irvine, Tobago Plantation, Little Rockly, Store Bay or Scarborough. In Cunupia there are five grounds that I can walk to. Wilderness grounds, Munroe Rd grounds, Stalagnite grounds, Dyette Estate park and the grounds next to the Cunupia health center. When I lived in El Socorro I would walk to the Aranguez Savannah, make seven laps and then walk back to El Socorro. These bring back good memories and lessons of patience and not giving up. Like walking, I take life one step at a time. I love walking.

*I discovered after I wrote this chapter on walking and the next chapter on Ramadan, that the walking distance from the masjid in San Fernando to my home in Cunupia is 42 km. This makes the geek in me smile. Walking that might be too much, I might have to hitchhike some. It is true what they say, life is a marathon and not a sprint.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...