Arima Smart City project - Smart cities need smart people

This morning I decided to see how much I could learn about the Arima Smart City project. I started with a Google search. I found an outdated page on facebook for an NGO called the Smart Arima Foundation and I emailed them to get more info about them and see if they are related to the government's smart city project. I also emailed the Ministry of Digital Transformation inviting them to take part in an emailed Question and Answer about the project. I also asked my friend Bard about the project. The project is officially called Connected Arima and is an ambitious initiative aiming to transform the borough into a vibrant and sustainable community powered by technology.

Components include climate resilient infrastructure, intelligent traffic management systems, waste management solutions, energy-efficient street lighting, smart poles, free wifi, e-government services, mobile apps, technology training and more. The use of mobile apps got my interest and I asked my friend Bard, what might these mobile apps be used for. Here are some examples: Receive real-time crime alerts, report suspicious activity, and access safety resources. Discover nearby shops, restaurants, and services, compare prices, and make online purchases. Find and pay for parking easily using your phone.

I think there is an opportunity for the ministry to show the public what Arima as a smart city would look like and how it would operate. A simple listing of all the Smart City features of Connected Arima at the different phases would be very helpful. Transparency and accessible information can build trust and public buy-in. In trying to make sense of this project and think about things that I think should be part of this project, I had to start with the basic question, what is a smart city? I found this TED Talk by Shravan Hardikar. He is a thought leader and bureaucrat with the government of India. He encourages us to think differently. Smart is about the people. Technology will come and infrastructure will come but is it a smart city if we the people are not smart about living? How do we get people to be smart and do the right things?

I am glad that I discovered that talk because it was a timely reminder to me: true smartness lies in the people and their behavior. Technology is just a tool and an enabler, not the entire solution. How many times have we seen people ignore walkovers instead darting across the road endangering themselves and motorists. How hard is it to carry our trash with us until we find a bin instead the trash ends up clogging our waterways. We have to seriously consider and emphasize how Connected Arima can foster community engagement, education, and responsible living alongside technological advancements. Also, a smart city is a journey and not a destination. Continuous development, adaptation, and citizen involvement are key for its success but most importantly in my mind it is smart people and smart thinking. I always like to say work smart and not work hard.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let the flowers bloom again

Small island but big heart

My Experience Setting Up FLOW's TG2492LG-FLO WIFI Modem

How can you make money online in Trinidad and Tobago?

Society united now