Skip to main content

Early computers at UWI Mona

Prof. Emeritus Robert J. Lancashire of UWI Mona read my blog post and emailed me some information relating to the early computers at UWI Mona and I had to share bits of it on my blog for anyone who finds these bits of history fascinating. Please feel free to message me with additional information or corrections or feedback. We really should pay tribute to the pioneers and early efforts that laid the foundation for the progress that we enjoy today. Before I started I did a Google search to see what I could find. Bard tells me that UWI Mona campus established the island's first computer center in 1961. This center initially housed an IBM 1620 computer, which was primarily used for scientific and engineering calculations, which is the information I also have. Some other early computers included another IBM mainframe following the Jamaica census and a Convex 3440 supercomputer (1992).

According to wikipedia, Ronald Cedric Read, born in 1924 and passed away in 2019, was a British mathematician and university professor. Ron (as he was called) shared notes on the differential analyser on 22nd and 23rd May 2008 that I got in my email from Robert. I like the date 23rd of May because I was born on the 23rd of May. The first computer at UWI Mona (back then the University College of the West Indies) was a differential analyser which Ron and Sze-Chit Yeung and Ian Isaacs began building in 1952 or 1953. According to the notes I have, "A differential analyser is an analogue computer, that is, one that is mechanical as opposed to digital. In it, numbers are represented by the rotations of shafts and wheels. It is used to solve differential equations."

The differential analyser when completed was used for demonstration purposes and also, to a small extent for research but not as much as was expected. Due to space constraints the machine had to be dismantled and parts stored but would be later rebuilt around 1960. The Mathematics department later acquired its first digital computer, the IBM1620, which became operational in 1962. According to the bulletin I have, at the time the bulletin was issued, the IBM1620 would have been used extensively for research in Physics and Mathematics, and for statistical calculations. The bulletin went into detail about how the IBM1620 worked and ended with the following, "It is extremely likely then that the University's computer will not only help to further academic research inside the University, but, by virtue of its many applications to planning and optimizing problems, as well as its more obvious uses, will also be an asset to Jamaica in general."

I also have in my possession the resume of Ron as given by his daughter. He studied both at the University of Cambridge and at the University of London. He went from Assistant Lecturer to Lecturer to Senior Lecturer to Reader and finally Full Professor, all these at the UWI between 1950 and 1970. His areas of interest included enumeration problems, especially graphical enumeration, application of computers to combinatorial problems, graph theory algorithms and problems of chemical documentation. He gave many invited talks and attended many invited seminars and was the recipient of several research grants. He was involved in the publication of several books and many research reports and many publications and papers. I was certainly impressed by the extent of his many years of work and the world is certainly better for this.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Failure

This is a chapter from my latest book called (G)rains (o)f san(d)s. Learn more about the book here . Thank you God for failure. Thank you for the good days and the bad days. Thank you for the journey. There are no failures, only lessons learnt. Better to try and fail than fail to try. For this chapter I made a bunch of notes and pieced them together. If mosaic was a style of writing, this would be it for me. Weirdly enough I am not afraid of failure as much as I am afraid of success. I want to live an ordinary and simple life. Much of what society deems as success is really the rat race. I guess I do not have a problem with success but the mainstream definitions of success. What does failure teach us? Failure teaches us to never give up because success can be right around the corner. Define your own definition of success. Enjoy the journey. Focus on learning. Focus on gaining experience. Focus on becoming wise. Today I learnt how a pearl is formed. A pearl forms when an oyster responds...

Wisdom

This is a chapter from my latest book called (G)rains (o)f san(d)s. Learn more about the book here . Thank you God for wisdom. Age brings wisdom. At least it should. Everyday we are learning. Everyday we are growing. What is the wisest thing ever said? I think one of the wisest things ever said is something my grandfather told my mother which is, "Dont make nothing a problem." Let me digest what was meant by this. Life happens. Fix what we can. Let go of what we cannot fix. Fix what is within our control. Get help when needed. Let go and let God. There are no problems only solutions waiting to be found and lessons waiting to be learnt. Every problem has a solution. Do not look at the problem, look at the solution. Do not see the problem, see the solution. What defines the situation is not the problem but the solution. We get to choose how we react to what we face in life. They say that laughter is the best medicine. If we do not laugh we will cry. So sometimes wisdom comes wi...

Faith

This is a chapter from my latest book called (G)rains (o)f san(d)s. Learn more about the book here . Thank you God for faith. We say we want to meet God but we already do in some ways. We meet God in his creation. We meet God every time we meet someone. We meet God every time we meet the animals. We meet God every time we meet nature. God is all around. Faith is when we can see this. This is God's world. We are God's work. We are testimony of his greatness. Everyday that goes by I think about God. Everyday I thank God for his mercy. I take my problems to God. I pray to God. God is at the center of my life. Nothing happens without the will of God and therefore I would be wise to submit to the will of God. God is in the everyday moments. God loves when we love. What is the simplest definition of faith? I think it is found in the phrase, let go and let God. I asked my friend the same question. My friend says that at its simplest, faith is trust in what you cannot see or prove. But...