Skip to main content

When TSTT launched their internet service in 1995

Following up from my blog post: Back in 2017 when Graeme Suite was Manager Brand, Public Relations & External Affairs, I had emailed him asking, "Does TSTT have any information on the history of internet in Trinidad?" He was able to send me a Newsday September 21, 1995 article titled "TSTT surfs the Internet" written by Horace Monsegue. Below are the contents of that article written more than 28 years ago. I was in form five at St Mary's College at that time. I remember Carib-Link and according to my friend Bard, they operated from 1995 to 2003 and initially provided dial-up internet access across Trinidad and Tobago.

Here is the contents of the Newsday article that I carefully converted to text on my mobile phone to make it indexable by the search engines.

Page 4 NEWSDAY Thursday September 21, 1995
NEWS
TSTT surfs the Internet
By HORACE MONSEGUE

MORE TRAFFIC joined the Information Superhighway, yesterday, when Telecommuni- cations Services of Trinidad and Tobago (TSTT) launched its Internet Service at a special media communications workshop at Textel House, Edward Street, Port-of-Spain.

Participants were able to "cruise" the Superhighway, as TSTT revealed the latest ad- vancement in technology that is turning the world into a "global village."

Chief Executive Office of TSTT, Samuel Martin said that the speed of technological advancement was so astonishing "that it is all too easy to be left behind."

Martin said that the launching of the TSTT Internet Service will now make it possible for customers to be able to dial-up access or have dedicated access to the Worldwide Web through a local node. Martin said that in early 1996, TSTT expects to introduce Integrated Services Digital Network (ISDN) which will enable the transport of voice, data and video on a single line.

Martin added: "International incoming 800 serv- ices will be available by the end of this year and Pay- 800 Service in 1996, to allow customers to access overseas 1-800 numbers.

"Public fax, video conferencing and Personal Communication Services are all part of the planned product offering which will complement or be added to the current range of services TSTT now offers."

Jean Wilson, Acting General Manager, of TSTT's Marketing Department explained that significant infrastructural work had to be conducted, in introducing not only Internet, but also CallMaster. "In only six months our engineers were able to complete work on the modernisation of the exchanges.

This feat was accomplished in what Nortel (Northern Telecom) described as 'record industry time'," Wilson said. She said: "Nortel has been so impressed by what has been achieved here that they have requested TSTT's participation in joint presentation with themselves at international fora."

Wilson said there are 10 services being offered. "The services are being sold singly or in multitudes to meet the needs of our customers, satisfying their requirements for privacy, convenience and security."


INTERNET FUN: TSTT's Chief Executive Officer, Sam Martin, (second fron left) makes a jovial point, encouraging smiles from TSTT's Public Relation: Manager, Patt Christopher (left), Newsday reporters Horace Monsegue and Kris Rampersad, along with TSTT's Marketing Analyst, Sherry Ragoo (far right), at yesterday's Internet demonstration. Photo by RATTAN JADOO

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...