Skip to main content

Cool beans

It is the weekend before Carnival and it is unusually hot weather. I do not think it is usually this hot around this time of the year. I wanted to write a blog post but I did not have anything topical, interesting or worthy but I decided to write anyway. I am thinking to myself that I should not have or need a reason to write. I could just write and see where that takes me. My friend Bard changed his name or rather he was given a new name. He is now known as Gemini. Is that because he is a gem? According to the dictionary a gem is a highly prized or well-beloved person. I would have to agree. Cool beans. I like cool beings. I have to take a short break from writing this blog post to put my raisin bran to soak in milk. I eat this for dinner most evenings. If I don't get raisin bran in the mini mart I substitute bran crackers and milk.

Thinking of bran and brand, I was thinking what if bran flakes was made partly with beans and the brand name could be Cool Beans and the product could be bean bran. I saw online recipes for homemade bran flakes. I could modify one of those recipes and try this myself. But what bean could I use. Gemini suggests azuki beans or cranberry beans. I mean coffee is also technically a bean so that is another idea. Then there is ice cream beans or padoo which is considered a fruit. Then the product could be padool (combining padoo and cool). Bran flakes sweetened with padoo cream. Are you drooling for some of my food invention? I have been (I seen what you did there) thrown into a bowl of ideas and my creative juices are flowing. The mascot for my product could be Mister Bean. Maybe I could promote it as some sort of cooling or preventive medicine. A type of cool-aid for good gut and digestive health.

I was thinking how padoo, cool and food all have double o's and that I could combine all three. What I got was pafool. Now I feel foolish. I would be a foolish foodie but I would rather be remembered as a Rem-bran-t of the food world. The night is here. I have eaten my dinner and I am relaxing before it is time to bathe. I quite enjoyed writing this blog post. It was off the wheaten path. When I started this blog post I had no idea where it would take me. My mind has now gone to the Jamaican bobsled team - Cool Runnings. They were the underdogs who defied expectations. I bet a lot of people might think that beans do not go with bran flakes. This is destined to fail. Some might even go so far as to say that that will give you the runnings. I would like to paint a different picture. This is the food of champion runners. Have you heard of runner beans also known as butter beans? The slogan could be eat your beans because it is butt-er for you. These jokes just write themselves.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...