Skip to main content

Mangoes

This is a chapter from my fifth book called Freedom

I am taking us on an epicurious journey. A sweet escape. A juicy reprieve. A mangolicious passage that is ripe for the picking. Who does not like mango? I do not know of a single person who does not like mango. If you do not like mango, are you even human? Mango is the most likable fruit in the world. Often referred to as the king of fruits. There are mango festivals that celebrate this great fellow. Right now in Trinidad I am seeing posts on facebook for the upcoming Mango Melee festival. I was curious and confused about the word melee. The dictionary has the meaning to be "a confused fight or scuffle" and "a confused crowd of people". The festival website says that the word "melee" has many meanings, the definition for our movement is a "shindig: a lively party, especially one celebrating something." Our use in this way locally might be a derivation it seems. I do not know if this is an exaggeration or not but I saw a post on facebook highlighting a man in India known as the "Mango Man of India" who is growing 1600 varieties of mango. His name is Haji Kalimullah Khan. I could not find a word for the study of mangoes or someone who studies mangoes. I nominate the use of mangology and mangologist. A person who studies fruits is called a pomologist.

I read that the Portuguese brought the mango to the West Indies and Trinidad. Mangoes originated in India over 5,000 years ago in the Hindo-Berma region. The word mango has roots in the Tamil language. I also read that the indentured laborers brought mangoes to Trinidad also. The hindustani word for mango is aam. My mom does not remember using the word aam for mango growing up. If you ever had to appear on Pick-a-Pan for a revived Mastana Bahar you would now be in the know. I can think of all the ways we prepare and eat this fruit in Trinidad. Curry mango in roti, mango chutney and pholorie, kuchela and pelau, mango chow, mango ice cream, mango cheesecake and red mango. I even know of the red mango ice cream sold in Tobago at a Store Bay ice cream parlor. Now I am wondering if the world has invented the seedless mango as yet? Google tells me that scientists in India have developed seedless mangoes but Bard then tells me that there are no true seedless mangoes. The mangoes have very small and immature seeds that are soft and fibrous and can be eaten along with the flesh of the fruit. These "seedless" varieties develop through a process called parthenocarpy, which is when a fruit develops without fertilization.

I read that a mango tree takes about 6 years to start bearing fruit and some trees live and bear fruit for up to 300 years. When I was a young boy growing up in San Fernando, I had an endless supply of mangoes from two trees in the yard. A doux doux mango tree and some other type of mango. My mom tells me that my grandfather planted those mango trees. Those mango trees are no longer and made way for housing. We are losing our mango trees and not enough people are planting mango trees. We lose our Trinidadianess more and more when we lose the mango trees. Mango should be made the national fruit of Trinidad and Tobago. I remember buying mango chow in primary school from a big glass jar where it must have been soaking in from the night before. Probably costed a few bobs back then. I read an article that described Nevis as the mango capital of the Caribbean and they have their rich volcanic soil to thank for the proliferation of mango trees. With so many mango trees around they have the Nevis Mango Festival. Since we put pineapple on pizza, surely we can put mango on pizza. I would love to try that. I would also like to try mango ketchup. I think freedom can be described as sitting under a mango tree on a hot but breezy day with a mouth full of starch mango or any variety that you prefer. Ripe mangoes, like freedom, offer a taste of the possibilities life holds.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...