Surfing

This is a chapter from my fifth book called Freedom

My bags are packed, my people. I am going on an outing to a quiet surfing village in another part of the world. I have packed some shorts, armhole jerseys, a pair of flip flops and my gopro camera. It has been a while since I have gone to the beach. I live on an island and I cannot swim and I do not go to the beach. They really say that people do not appreciate what they have. Where I am heading I have to take a plane or two. I am going to Nosara in Costa Rica. Nosara is a village and district on Costa Rica's Nicoya Peninsula. It is known for the beaches, nature, and wildlife and of course surfing. The closest airport to Nosara is Tamarindo (TNO) Airport which is about 42 kilometers away. According to legend, Nosara is named after a Chorotega princess who died fighting for love on her beach. Sayonara, I am going to Nosara! Like how I rhymed that?

And through the power of the internet I have landed on a beach in Nosara. I could just hear one of my readers roll his eyes and say, "The only surfing you are doing is surfing the internet." I guess you could say that I am surfing the waves of my imagination. Freedom is the ability to think beyond the walls of our circumstances. "The man who has no imagination has no wings," told to us by Muhammad Ali. Back to my little or rather my grand adventure. As mentioned before I cannot swim so I will be wearing a life jacket on the surfboard. My surfer name is "Island boy" and when I buy a surfboard it is going to be called "Freedom Rider". I got a return flight to Costa Rica for 6 grand. I am staying at the Sunset Shack. Located just a short walk from the world famous waves of Playa Guiones.

I read that the "Pura Vida" vibe is alive at this beach. I read that pura vida is more than just a phrase for Costa Ricans and it is a way of life. Pura vida translates to "pure life" or "simple life". The Ticos use it in many situations. To say hello or goodbye or as an answer to "How are you going?" That phrase has also left its mark on the rest of the world. There is even a Pura Vida villa in Mayaro in Trinidad. I love the simple life. I am a minimalist and this phrase resonates with me. There are also plenty of places to enjoy authentic Costa Rican food. I will have to look for vegetarian options unless there are Halal food places. Islam is one of the smallest minority faiths in Costa Rica. Mostly immigrants from Muslim countries. I wonder if there is even a single place serving doubles in Costa Rica? And what about Trinidadians living in Costa Rica?

I am done surfing for the day and I am sitting on a bench outside a quiet beach bar with my notebook in hand. I observe the people pass by. Each one carries hopes and dreams in their hearts. Each one with a story to tell. Each one with a reason that brought them to Guiones. What brought you to the pages of my book? What brought me to write this chapter? What is life? What is the meaning of life? What is our purpose? I stare at the sunset beyond the sea and an old man passes by with a sombrero and says, "Lo que sea, serĂ¡." Whatever it is will be. I am not at a beach bar in Costa Rica and probably the same for you. But did you not feel like you were? Was not the thought real? Was not the feeling real? What is the difference? Maybe one day we will be there for real to answer the question with first hand experience. But for now I am there with the freedom of the words that I can write. La pluma libre.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wandering

Mangoes

Winds

May

How can you make money online in Trinidad and Tobago?