Skip to main content

Gratitude

This is a chapter from my fifth book called Freedom

I woke up to see another day. I am grateful. I am grateful that I have God. There are so many things that I am grateful for. I thank God. I thank my mom. I thank my country. I thank you for reading this chapter. I thank nature. I thank technology. I thank progress. I thank the people. I say that one is important as I remember a hadith on gratitude. Abu Huraira reported that The Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, said, "Whoever does not thank people has not thanked Allah." (Sunan Abī Dāwūd 4811). I think that hadith is beautiful and this is something to live by. What really got me started on this chapter was that I was scrolling through facebook and I came across this quote by Viktor E Frankl, "Our greatest freedom is the freedom to choose our attitude." I saved it to my phone thinking I would use it later in this book. Some time later I stumbled upon the word gratitude and it clicked that that would be this next chapter. It is telling that the word gratitude has the word attitude in it. Minus one t. That t stands for taking. The t that remains stands for thanking. Stop taking things for granted and start thanking. That is an attitude of gratitude. That is freedom. That is where I want to be. Full of an attitude of gratitude and all other beautiful attitudes will fall into place naturally. That is my thinking.

Who is this Viktor E Frankl who gave us this beautiful quote and some good words to live by? Quite frankly this is victory for our human spirit. My friend Gemini tells me that Viktor Frankl was an Austrian neurologist and psychiatrist who became a symbol of hope and resilience. His experiences during the Holocaust, where he endured the horrors of concentration camps, shaped his profound philosophy on the human spirit. Frankl's most famous work, Man's Search for Meaning, is a poignant exploration of his experiences and the psychological and spiritual insights he gained from them. It was this realization that inspired his quote about freedom and attitude. He observed that while external factors could be taken away, the human spirit's ability to choose one's response to adversity remained intact. Frankl's insights continue to inspire millions worldwide, offering hope and guidance in navigating life's challenges.

We must be grateful if we want to be great. Think greatful. My friend Gemini likes my play on words. He thinks it is a simple yet effective way to highlight the connection between gratitude and greatness. It emphasizes the idea that a grateful mindset is essential for achieving greatness. I found some more quotes but with unknown sources. These quotes also connect freedom and attitude and in different but similar ways and gives me more food for thought. They put the ate in grateful and the feed in freedom. Let us feed our minds with great things.

"Freedom is not the absence of obligations, but the presence of the right attitude toward them." — Unknown

"Your attitude towards freedom is a reflection of your inner strength and character." — Unknown

"The freedom to choose your attitude is a fundamental freedom that empowers all other freedoms." — Unknown

"Attitude is the only thing you can control in the pursuit of freedom." — Unknown

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...