Happiness

This is a chapter from my fifth book called Freedom

I want to share a story about the happiest day of my life. It was a Monday. I had gotten a few hours sleep but that was enough but still I felt like staying in bed. I was thankful to God to see another day. I thanked God before I went to sleep and I thanked God when I woke up. I was droopy from meds I had taken. My moms friend called her to let her know that she made breakfast to share with her. Her friend lives about 10 houses away in another street. Breakfast would be ready for collection at 730am. It was about 620am and I would be the one who goes to collect the breakfast. The breakfast was fried aloo and sada roti. Before that phone call I was undecided about going for my morning walk because my bowels did not feel right. My mind decided in a moment that the worst thing that could happen is that I needed to use the toilet and there was none. I could use the bushes or if that was not possible and I did not have time to think what to do I would just mess my pants. A very embarrassing moment and a very messy walk back home. But I would not die. After thinking that my bowels seemed settled but unsure and thinking that the worst thing that could happen was survivable even if super embarrassing I made up my mind that I was going to go on my walk for about an hour before I collected the breakfast.

I set off on my journey heading south after walking to the main road. I pay attention to the path in front of me because there might be dog poop or an open manhole cover or a drop in the pavement. I enjoy the thrill of doing something that is good for my mind and body in the long run. I really want to get fit and strong like I once was. I want to rid myself of my dhal belly. I want to feel confident in the clothes I wear. I want to be occupied doing something useful. I want to have something to look forward to everyday. Most importantly I want to be healthy and of sound mind on the road to being my fullest potential. The route I chose to walk is familiar to me. I try not to walk too fast so that my muscles do not tire and give that burning sensation. Walking makes me happy. I have written before about my love of walking. I feel like an explorer. It is time by myself and away from the confines of home and those four walls. It is freedom. I associate good memories with walking. Walking saves me as I battle with mental illness. Walking is my friend. Walking is what I know. I feel accomplished whenever I complete a walk. I feel recharged.

There is no spectacular scenery. It is a very ordinary town with the hustle and bustle of Monday morning. I rejoice in the ordinariness. I feel part of the fabric of human productivity. Everyone who passes me by is on a journey to somewhere with their own reasons for going about. My route that morning took me to a small grounds with a walking track. I have been here many times before. A dude twice my size passes by and says good morning to which I respond. He is also walking to get healthy I imagine. A runner passes me and asks for an excuse to pass by. The walking track is somewhat small. I do not walk with my phone because one time many years ago I was robbed of my phone and camera on an early morning walk. The only camera I have now is my eyes. Maybe I should be capturing moments with words and poetry. That's an idea for a future book of poetry. It could be called The Walking Poet.

That day I wrote about above is today. I could have said that the happiest day was when I passed common entrance for my first choice or that time I went Tobago or that time I won five hundred dollars. In the past I might have done that. I would have thought about a day when something grand happened. But I have come to the realization that there is no better time than the present. Now is the happiest time of my life. Today is the happiest day of my life. Freedom is when you can view everyday as the happiest day of your life. Freedom through happiness comes from living in the now. I am at the point of realization and it will take me time to fully embody this in my life. At the very least I should aim at treating every day like it is the happiest day of my life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shade

Balance

How can you make money online in Trinidad and Tobago?

Windmill

Growth