Skip to main content

Plantain

This is a chapter from my sixth book called Alphabet Soup - A different kind of cook book

Today I woke up with a plan to write about plantain. Plain and simple, everybody loves plantain. No one complains about plantains. Anything bad you hear about plantain is mischief or should I say mischef by chefs who do not know better. I read that the name plantain comes from the Spanish word "plántano" and that probably comes from the Carib word "palatana" meaning banana. What do you call a plantain that goes to Maracas beach? Plantan. We all love a plantain with a good tan that is ready for the pan and frying. And if you are vegan you will probably want a bake and plantain rather than the usual bake and shark from Maracas. Plantain is good in soup and even on pizza. Moko is a variety of plantain that we also have in Trinidad. To me this is fatter and sweeter than normal plantain. I came across plantain roti online and I want to try this. One of the top recipes that shows up for me in Google search is from Riaz Phillips and he makes it look so yummy. He is a food writer and author from London inspired by his Caribbean family roots.

I asked my mom what she knows about plantain and one of the things she told me about is tom tom that is made with cooked half ripe plantains and pounded until soft in a mortar and pestle and then seasoned. It is also known as pong plantain in Trinidad. I saw some recipes online describing tum tum as Haitian style fufu. You can even make tum tum with breadfruit or green fig. I learnt that basically this dish is variations on fufu made with plantain that spread to some parts of the world. I learnt that tum tum comes from the sound the mortar and pestle makes when making this dish. It is called differently in different places, for example it is mofongo in Puerto Rico.

In my research I found a medicinal herb that shares the name with plantain. In botanical terms, "plantain" refers to plants in the Plantago genus, which are different from the "plantains" commonly found in cooking. The dwarf plantain or plantago is herbal medicine. I find it sort of looks like culantro or what we call in Trinidad shadon beni. And now for a proverb. Proverbs being medicine for our minds and hearts, offering wisdom and guidance to navigate life's challenges. I found two versions of this Jamaican proverb that says the same thing. Plantain ripe, can't green again (and plantain whe ripe can't green again). The second version sounds more Jamaican to me. This is similar to saying you can't unscramble an egg or what's done is done. In Spanish they say, "Lo hecho, hecho está". The proverb is used to emphasize the finality of a situation. It suggests that certain actions or decisions have irreversible consequences. I guess you could say that plantain teaches us to plan ting. We should think before we say or do. A reminder to be planting seeds of love always.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...