Skip to main content

The New Leaf

I am not sleepy. Feels like an old years night. So I decided to write. Originally I titled the blog post - The New Year - then I thought that leaf instead of year would be more interesting. Happy New Year! Happy New Leaf! I read that "turn over a new leaf" is an idiom that means to start over or change your attitude or act in a different way. The new year is a great time to turn over a new leaf. The end of the old year is a great time to reflect.

This past year I did a lot of writing. I did a moderate amount of walking but not consistently. I started the devs.tt project and the Voice of SZ project. I got a new phone. I read a handful of books but not enough. I did make some photographs. Sometimes I forget how much I love photography and I should say that I am really good at it. I have an eye for photography. A unique perspective. I started a cooking blog and somewhat cookbook. I planted a guava tree. I kept myself useful and productive. I kept a positive attitude. I remained kind and loving and hopeful. I kept myself close to God. I prayed. I let go of the things I could not change. I changed the things I could change. The end of last year I reminded myself to enjoy the journey.

This year I am telling myself to turn over a new leaf. I am telling myself to imagine how I can do things differently. I really love walking and I really love photography. My walking needs to be consistent. Like everyday of 2025 consistent. If I can do that I would have turned a new leaf. For my photography I am going to start a photo365 project in 2025. I think those are the two main things I am going to focus on in 2025. My passion for those two things and being consistently active with those two will fuel change in the other areas of my life. I feel motivated just thinking about walking and photography every day for 2025. Walking and photography will be my agitators for change. Steve Jobs has told us that, "The only way to do great work is to love what you do."

The idiom 'turn over a new leaf' is rooted in the 16th-century concept of a book's pages being referred to as leaves. By turning to a fresh, unwritten page, one metaphorically begins a new chapter in their life. I am thankful that I was able to reflect on the past pages of 2024 and plan ahead for the new. I am thankful to God for guiding me. I am thankful to my mom for being there for me. I am thankful for everyone who makes this journey better. I am thankful for the new unwritten pages of 2025. I beleaf in God. I beleaf in the power of love. I beleaf in doing and saying good. I beleaf that words have power and that we should walk the talk. I beleaf that 2025 will be a rewarding year, God willing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...