Skip to main content

My notes from GDG POS Firebase study jam

Today Google Developer Group Port of Spain hosted a livestream study session around Firebase. It featured a presentation by Arthur Thompson who has been working at Google for the last few years on the Firebase team. When asked about how he got started at Google he stated that it was simple but fascinating and what he did was go through jobs.google.com. He also mentioned that there were a number of other trinis working at Google and in Silicon valley.

I encourage you to visit the GDG POS website and join the meetup group to keep updated on future events.

What is firebase? Firebase is an app development platform with a number of related tools. Examples are tools for authentication, messaging, storage and hosting. One of the main tools is Firestore, their NoSQL document database. You can get started really quickly and there is much documentation.

One of the things that caught my attention in the presentation was global edge caching. On the website it states that Firebase Hosting uses a powerful global CDN to make your site as fast as possible.

One of the questions I asked was, how to verify the safety of extensions? Whenever using user contributed code you should have a checklist to go through to see that the code can be trusted. Same applies with Firebase extensions.

The first lab made use of Gitpod. This was something new to me. These are one-click ready-to-code development environments for GitHub.

One thing I dislike about pay as go platforms is when I cannot set a budget limit. I would like to set a limit so that my monthly bill does not surprise me for whatever reasons.

Some useful links


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...