Skip to main content

IoT examples for Trinidad and Tobago

IoT stands for internet of things. It is about connecting devices. These devices can collect data and perform actions. We are talking use of sensors, devices, internet, analytics, big data and such. For me, an easy way to understand IoT is by using examples. As such, I am presenting 5 examples of how IoT could be used locally.

Flood alert sensors

A big problem we have in Trinidad and especially in the rainy season is flooding. Flood alert sensors could monitor the weather and water levels and provide location specific alerts. Sensors and analysis could also be used to notify us when and where to clean particular water courses.

Location of buses

If we knew when the next bus was coming or how soon we missed the last bus, we would be more inclined to take the bus. We can also monitor the number of persons at bus stops on the route. Over time with enough data the bus company could do some demand analysis and apply to scheduling and route management.

Connected guest books

What are tourists saying? What are the popular tourist spots? With connected guest books at tourist spots we can have some ideas. We can also be using connected tourist beacons that provide useful information amongst other things.

Location of parking spots

We could be monitoring the availability of parking spots especially in congested areas like Port of Spain. A system could then direct drivers looking for parking to the available spots or parking garages with space.

Agriculture sales

We could use connected scales in the markets to give us ideas about demands for certain crops. Vendors could also use the scale to advertise their prices. Consumers could see where the best prices are.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...