Skip to main content

Understanding Digital Transformation in Trinidad and Tobago

What is digital transformation? To me, digital transformation means using technology to improve or transform the way things are done. Why change? Because of the problems, issues, pain points, however you choose to describe these, with how things are currently working. Why technology? Because technology has proven to be an enabler of transformation in the past and in other jurisdictions.

When I Google "why technology transformation" one of the top results was this article, Digital Transformation Is Not About Technology. What I took from this was that technology is just the enabler. Technology is just the tool. We have to do a lot of non technology work to bring about digital transformation. One of the things the article pointed to was having the right mindset and practices. So while we put things online and digitise records we should be reviewing the data that is captured, the workflows involved and the reasons for being.

Transformations can be hard work and then there are no guarantees to success. Things could be made worst if not done correctly. Then what can we learn from others? What are some of the success factors? Things that can give us a better chance at being successful with digital transformation. I would say leadership is very important. Consultation is also very important. Who are the stakeholders? What is their feedback? Proper communication is needed. Persons should be clear about what is happening and what their roles are.

I take my role as a citizen and technology blogger seriously and passionately. I am easy to contact and get feedback from. One of the first things I have done is contact the newly renamed ministry of public admin and digital transformation with my questions. If and when I get some answers I will update this blog post with a link to those answers. While digital transformation happens at the country level start thinking about digital transformation within your spheres of being. What can be done differently at home and in your business?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

Thankful

It is 617pm and I have decided to write. Right now I am thankful. The cool of the evening has replaced the heat of the day. I took a bath and changed and now I am just relaxing. Sometimes I complain. Not often. But I feel bad afterwards because there is so much to be thankful for. There is always room for improvement and we have to identify the things for improvement and change is often good but we do not have to make it into complaints. Yeah I get it. Life is hard and none of us has it easy. Look on the bright side of things. And sometimes it is the little things that remind us that life is good. Things that we take for granted. Like I was coming in the maxi taxi today and heard a gospel song that was about gratitude. God does appreciate a grateful heart. Trinidad and Tobago celebrated sixty four years of independence yesterday and if we stop and listen to the many complaints we would swear we are living in the worst country in the world. That is not the case. We do get a lot of thing...

Having a soft spirit

It is 137am. It started raining. I decided to write. I have heard about having a soft heart but what does it mean to have a soft spirit? And is having a soft heart related to having a soft spirit? My friend Chatty says that a soft heart feels deeply — it breaks, heals, and loves with tenderness — while a soft spirit moves gently through life, unresisting and at peace with what comes. The two are kin: a soft heart opens you to emotion, and a soft spirit teaches you to carry that emotion with grace. Together they make a person both tender and strong — able to feel the rain and still trust its rhythm. I like the quote, "a soft spirit in a hard world" by author and poet, butterflies rising. It resonates with how many of us feel. My friend Chatty tells me that that quote captures the quiet strength of staying gentle in a harsh world. It reflects the author's signature themes of vulnerability, tenderness, and emotional courage — the idea that softness is not weakness but a form...