Skip to main content

What I think about the TTWiFi project

What is TTWiFi? This is a government project to provide free internet access in public places. This is linked to reducing the digital divide in Trinidad and Tobago. It is currently available at some transport hubs and some libraries. You can get more info from their website at http://www.ttwifi.gov.tt/. This website does not use https encryption which is not a good first impression to me. When I did a Twitter search I saw that TTWifi is also the name of a virus. Just something to keep in mind and makes me wonder if there was another name that could have been chosen.

One of the places I like to see free WiFi is on public transport since that is some free time available. There is a project between PTSC and bmobile to provide wifi on the buses and some maxi taxis have WiFi. The major issue I see with these is the reliability, reach and upkeep. Flow has their customer hotspots that I have used successfully in Chaguanas around Mid Center Mall on some occasions.

I remember feeling excited and hopeful when TTWiFi was first launched back in 2016. Nowadays I am not travelling much and I am content being without internet the few times I have to be out the house and mostly in Chaguanas running errands. That is my situation but there are many who would appreciate this facility. I think it is a good idea and project and deserves our encouragement.

One concern is what is the cost to the taxpayers and are we getting value for money. This is something that I asked on their facebook page and I am waiting on a response. Another concern is the level of security at these hotspots. I would advise caution in using any public hotspot. Under their FAQs they state that the tech is secure but public wifi is inherently risky and should not be used for sensitive transactions like banking and shopping. I must congratulate them on having an informative FAQ page.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...