Skip to main content

Big Data in Trinidad and Tobago

What is big data? Big data is dealing with huge data sets to perform analysis and possibly act on this. I don't hear much about big data in Trinidad and Tobago. For me one of the best ways to explain big data and get buy in would be to provide examples of how big data can be used locally. I contacted CSO and iGovTT to get their input on the subject but did not get replies. I posed a question on reddit if you want to give your input - Describe uses for big data in TT? Where do you see big data can make a difference?

In 2020 the UN in Trinidad and Tobago organised a big data forum. 

Below are some examples of how Big Data can be used in Trinidad and Tobago. Some of the examples have come from Anand Maraj, Development Coordination Officer, UN Trinidad and Tobago

Monitoring food prices - Ministry of Consumer Affairs - when and where has good prices

Collecting tourist data - Ministry of Tourism - Targeted marketing of tourists

Analysis of health records - Ministry of Health - focus areas for health education drives

Analysis of student learning - Ministry of Education - what kind of teaching is producing good results

Big data in weather forecasting - MET Office - reduce effects of bad weather

Analysis of census data and traffic data in road and infrastructure planning

Data from social workers - Social Services - where the major needs exist

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...