Skip to main content

My Experience with Windows 11

I briefly tuned in for the Windows 11 launch last week and tweeted a few times and that was it. No real excitement from me. I have shifted to a mobile first workflow. Everything I have been doing on my mobile phone. To besides my laptop is 5 years old now and feels sluggish. I wanted to at least give Windows 11 a try so I could blog about it. I would be hoping for a speedier and effecient new OS that works on Windows 10 hardware. Performance is key for me.

Initially Microsoft had released a PC Health Check tool where you could see if your machine met the new hardware requirements for Windows 11 but that tool was pulled because of problems. When I turned on my laptop running Windows 10 Insider Preview Dev Channel I saw that there was a pending download for Windows 11 Insider Preview 10.0.22000.51 (co_release). I left my laptop on in the corner of my bed so it could download and then install. In the meanwhile I could watch youtube videos about the new features.

On the Windows blog they do indicate that there are known issues with this build. The download took about an hour on my 15 Mbps internet connection. The upgrade took about 3 hours. As I use the new OS I made notes of what stood out to me. They are, look and feel, widgets, runs android apps, improved windows management. I feel like it is faster than my Windows 10 install. I wanted to get the input of the Microsoft office in Trinidad but they don't have an email address or social media or online contact form.

What would get me to use my laptop? Coding. If I become active on stack overflow again or decide to write more coding blog posts. I am able to code on my mobile and I do challenge myself to see what I could do on my mobile. Termux on Android is very useful for that. When I am on my laptop I am mostly in the browser except when I am coding. A lot of the features seem useless to me BUT I must remember that the OS wasn't created for me alone. It is created for millions of users. I just want speed on old hardware. There should be a way to turn off features and make the OS faster on older hardware.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

Nur al-Quran

It is 1037am and I have decided to write. I have been listening to the Quran more and more. I have also been trying to learn Arabic casually through social media. I am nearing the end of my second reading of the English Quran. The Quran is the word of God and God also tells us to follow the sunnah and life of the prophet (pbuh). The Quran is a miracle. The more I interact with the Quran, the more complete I feel. It gives my clarity. I have a purpose. I have goals. I have things I should be doing. Islam is a way of life and it builds character. Sometimes I listen to the Quran to forget about this world. This world is not my home. My home is in the hereafter and God willing in heaven. The more I draw closer to the Quran, the more beauty I see and hear and feel. Same goes to God. Same goes for the life of the prophet (pbuh). Same for Islam. If these are all the things I have in this world, I am happy. Reminds me of one of the duas I say daily. I am content with Allah as my Lord, Islam as...

Rain

This is a chapter from my latest book called (G)rains (o)f san(d)s. Learn more about the book here . Thank you God for the rain. It has just started raining here. I can hear the pitter patter on the roof. I can see the dimmed light through the window. The greenery in the yard is enjoying every chance of rain. The days have been extra hot this year. They say we are experiencing a super el nino in Trinidad. Given this every bit of rainfall feels special. Water is life. Without water there can be no life as we know it. Rain is part of the water cycle. Rain falling is like therapy. A calm state comes over my body. My mind relaxes. I appreciate my home and my shelter to keep me dry and safe. The rain is mentioned as a sign from God in the Quran and how it gives life to a lifeless land. The rain complements the sunshine as part of nature's balance. Sometimes we have to endure storms and floods and even droughts but there are lessons in these events. Community spirit is heightened and our...