Skip to main content

Building a Tech Startup in Trinidad and Tobago

I was prompted to write this blog because of a question on Caribbean Developers. The gist of the question was I want to start a tech startup, I have ideas and can see the big picture but I have little coding experience. My response was - Start small. Keep learning. Register your business. Build your company website.

Many big tech companies started from humble beginnings. Google for example started in a dorm room in Stanford University. The important thing is to just start. Don't think about failure. Don't think about the destination too much, enjoy the journey. I like this quote by Jacqueline Novogratz that I found on the internet, "Just start. Don’t wait for perfection. Just start and let the work teach you."

We never stop learning. Keep learning. Technology is constantly changing. Technology evolves quickly. There are tons of resources online. For example, coursera has a course called Creating and Developing a Tech Startup. Seek out a mentor. Ask your circles for advice. Join forums. Attend events. Read books on the topic, example, Founders at Work, Stories of Startups' Early Days, by Jessica Livingston.

The technology space is full of opportunities. Technology can be used to make the world a better place. There is a digital transformation push in Trinidad and Tobago. The government in the last budget announced incentives for tech startups. Register your business.

One of the first things I think you should do is build your company website. Develop your online presence and social media. Create a following. A domain name and landing page can be there on day one. Make it easy for persons to learn about your startup. Make it easy for persons to contact you. So what are you waiting on? Let's recap - Start small. Keep learning. Register your business. Build your company website. Share your thoughts with us in the comments.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

Rain

This is a chapter from my latest book called (G)rains (o)f san(d)s. Learn more about the book here . Thank you God for the rain. It has just started raining here. I can hear the pitter patter on the roof. I can see the dimmed light through the window. The greenery in the yard is enjoying every chance of rain. The days have been extra hot this year. They say we are experiencing a super el nino in Trinidad. Given this every bit of rainfall feels special. Water is life. Without water there can be no life as we know it. Rain is part of the water cycle. Rain falling is like therapy. A calm state comes over my body. My mind relaxes. I appreciate my home and my shelter to keep me dry and safe. The rain is mentioned as a sign from God in the Quran and how it gives life to a lifeless land. The rain complements the sunshine as part of nature's balance. Sometimes we have to endure storms and floods and even droughts but there are lessons in these events. Community spirit is heightened and our...

Nur al-Quran

It is 1037am and I have decided to write. I have been listening to the Quran more and more. I have also been trying to learn Arabic casually through social media. I am nearing the end of my second reading of the English Quran. The Quran is the word of God and God also tells us to follow the sunnah and life of the prophet (pbuh). The Quran is a miracle. The more I interact with the Quran, the more complete I feel. It gives my clarity. I have a purpose. I have goals. I have things I should be doing. Islam is a way of life and it builds character. Sometimes I listen to the Quran to forget about this world. This world is not my home. My home is in the hereafter and God willing in heaven. The more I draw closer to the Quran, the more beauty I see and hear and feel. Same goes to God. Same goes for the life of the prophet (pbuh). Same for Islam. If these are all the things I have in this world, I am happy. Reminds me of one of the duas I say daily. I am content with Allah as my Lord, Islam as...