Skip to main content

Framework on Net Neutrality in Trinidad and Tobago

The global hype around net neutrality has lessened but it remains an important consideration. I like this definition from the EFF website - net neutrality is the idea that Internet service providers (ISPs) should treat all data that travels over their networks fairly, without improper discrimination in favor of particular apps, sites or services.

Net neutrality is mentioned in our National ICT plan and was assigned to public administration and TATT. In todays papers TATT put out an ad requesting feedback on their Framework on Net Neutrality in Trinidad and Tobago document as part of their consultation process.

According to the document, the topic of net neutrality has been prominent in global policy discussions for decades. It says that at the heart of these discussions lies the importance of the open internet, which has unequivocally driven innovation, commerce, individual expression and competition. On the one hand we have the need for an open internet and on the other hand we have the need for incentives for network operators to invest and then freedom to optimise their networks. TATT is wanting to create a balanced framework that takes everyones needs into consideration.

In my opinion the need for an open internet far outweighs the gripes of the network operators and I feel that the network operators can get by comfortably with strong net neutrality rules. I had a question that I emailed TATT on - Is the framework a guide that can be disregarded or are these rules that must be followed where TATT can take action? What are some of the actions that TATT can take?

The document talks about the effects on consumers and network operators and about monitoring for discrimination but does not talk about measuring effects. We should identify some measurable effects so that after the implementation of the framework we can point to these numbers and say that the framework is having a negative or positive effect and make adjustments as needed. How do we measure that the objectives outlined in the document are being met as the framework is reviewed periodically. That would be my one feedback.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...