Skip to main content

I started using Bing search engine

According to StatCounter, Google search market share is 92.01% as of February 2022. That is pretty impressive. Before now I have used Google search only but I started using Bing search in parallel. As a tech blogger and techie, I do a lot of research and I especially go deep into results and sometimes to the end of the results. Competition is good and the more persons that use a search engine makes it better. I never gave Bing a proper try before and so I wanted to do that this time around. Some have joked that Bing stands for Because It's Not Google.

I changed the default search engine in my Chrome mobile browser to Bing from Chrome settings, as a reminder to also use Bing in my searches. I find that I am getting some useful results that I am not getting with Google. I noticed that the Youtube thumbnail is linked to what I am searching. I get a clean link when I copy link from search results and this is especially useful for attachments.

I see less ads on Bing although I have no problems with ads because they pay for a service. I am not seeing the option to filter by date on Bing. This is a useful feature I am used to on Google. I am not seeing a Bing alerts but I discovered that you can create an rss feed for your search e.g. http://bing.com/search?q=tobago+holiday&format=rss. I find I am getting some broad results with Bing. Google is more specific. Broad results can come in handy and be useful when I am not sure what search terms to use or exactly what I am searching for.

From since I small I have heard to not put all your eggs in one basket. In conclusion, I feel like I am getting richer and more accurate results with Google but I don't want to miss out on results from Bing and by using Bing I can make it better, so I think I will continue to use both.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...