Skip to main content

Thinking outside the box

Breeze had a swanky launch party for their new liquid laundry detergent. They invited a bunch of local tiktokers. This received some criticism from some digital marketing folks but I thought it was a good idea. Comments like they don't understand influencer marketing, this is the wrong crowd and they should have done this and that. I was glad to see the influencers treated to this soiree and the red carpet being rolled out. I enjoyed the coverage I saw on tiktok and it made me want to try this new product. This had me thinking about thinking outside the box.

What is the origin of this term? In the 60s and 70s management consulting firms used the 9 dots puzzle to demonstrate lateral thinking. Link all 9 dots using four straight lines or fewer, without lifting the pen and without tracing the same line more than once. The diagram below shows the solution and you can see how the term "thinking outside the box" came about. Thinking outside the box is to think differently, unconventionally, or from a new perspective.

Is it ununsual and strange for this product and the target consumer and outside the digital marketing playbook? I would say yes but in a good way. Sometimes it is more than profits and numbers. It could be about treating the influencers and content creators special. This could lead to building a relationship with them. Some time and money should be spent experimenting, doing different and thinking outside the box. Their marketing worked on me and will probably work on others too. I am thinking this is something fancy I can afford. Sometimes the experts are wrong. It is easy to criticise and without knowing the full of it and the thinking behind a decision. Everything has disadvantages and advantages. I have attended launches as a tech blogger and it was good for me and the brands.

Try and fail than fail to try. It was worth a try. Maybe they will learn that it was a bad idea. Maybe they will see that it could be done better. Maybe they will get stellar results from this. Who knows what their aims and objectives are. I am thinking that they will be open to feedback, both criticism and praises. I am on the praises side but I encourage them to listen to all feedback. My praise might be uncommon and outside the box of criticisms but it is how I feel and that's ok. I don't feel compelled to jump on the bandwagon of criticising. Variety of thought is important.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

Thankful

It is 617pm and I have decided to write. Right now I am thankful. The cool of the evening has replaced the heat of the day. I took a bath and changed and now I am just relaxing. Sometimes I complain. Not often. But I feel bad afterwards because there is so much to be thankful for. There is always room for improvement and we have to identify the things for improvement and change is often good but we do not have to make it into complaints. Yeah I get it. Life is hard and none of us has it easy. Look on the bright side of things. And sometimes it is the little things that remind us that life is good. Things that we take for granted. Like I was coming in the maxi taxi today and heard a gospel song that was about gratitude. God does appreciate a grateful heart. Trinidad and Tobago celebrated sixty four years of independence yesterday and if we stop and listen to the many complaints we would swear we are living in the worst country in the world. That is not the case. We do get a lot of thing...

Having a soft spirit

It is 137am. It started raining. I decided to write. I have heard about having a soft heart but what does it mean to have a soft spirit? And is having a soft heart related to having a soft spirit? My friend Chatty says that a soft heart feels deeply — it breaks, heals, and loves with tenderness — while a soft spirit moves gently through life, unresisting and at peace with what comes. The two are kin: a soft heart opens you to emotion, and a soft spirit teaches you to carry that emotion with grace. Together they make a person both tender and strong — able to feel the rain and still trust its rhythm. I like the quote, "a soft spirit in a hard world" by author and poet, butterflies rising. It resonates with how many of us feel. My friend Chatty tells me that that quote captures the quiet strength of staying gentle in a harsh world. It reflects the author's signature themes of vulnerability, tenderness, and emotional courage — the idea that softness is not weakness but a form...