Thinking outside the box

Breeze had a swanky launch party for their new liquid laundry detergent. They invited a bunch of local tiktokers. This received some criticism from some digital marketing folks but I thought it was a good idea. Comments like they don't understand influencer marketing, this is the wrong crowd and they should have done this and that. I was glad to see the influencers treated to this soiree and the red carpet being rolled out. I enjoyed the coverage I saw on tiktok and it made me want to try this new product. This had me thinking about thinking outside the box.

What is the origin of this term? In the 60s and 70s management consulting firms used the 9 dots puzzle to demonstrate lateral thinking. Link all 9 dots using four straight lines or fewer, without lifting the pen and without tracing the same line more than once. The diagram below shows the solution and you can see how the term "thinking outside the box" came about. Thinking outside the box is to think differently, unconventionally, or from a new perspective.

Is it ununsual and strange for this product and the target consumer and outside the digital marketing playbook? I would say yes but in a good way. Sometimes it is more than profits and numbers. It could be about treating the influencers and content creators special. This could lead to building a relationship with them. Some time and money should be spent experimenting, doing different and thinking outside the box. Their marketing worked on me and will probably work on others too. I am thinking this is something fancy I can afford. Sometimes the experts are wrong. It is easy to criticise and without knowing the full of it and the thinking behind a decision. Everything has disadvantages and advantages. I have attended launches as a tech blogger and it was good for me and the brands.

Try and fail than fail to try. It was worth a try. Maybe they will learn that it was a bad idea. Maybe they will see that it could be done better. Maybe they will get stellar results from this. Who knows what their aims and objectives are. I am thinking that they will be open to feedback, both criticism and praises. I am on the praises side but I encourage them to listen to all feedback. My praise might be uncommon and outside the box of criticisms but it is how I feel and that's ok. I don't feel compelled to jump on the bandwagon of criticising. Variety of thought is important.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How does the sun set?

What is the story behind the broken kite?

Surfing

What is a beautiful word?

Collector