Skip to main content

Thinking outside the box

Breeze had a swanky launch party for their new liquid laundry detergent. They invited a bunch of local tiktokers. This received some criticism from some digital marketing folks but I thought it was a good idea. Comments like they don't understand influencer marketing, this is the wrong crowd and they should have done this and that. I was glad to see the influencers treated to this soiree and the red carpet being rolled out. I enjoyed the coverage I saw on tiktok and it made me want to try this new product. This had me thinking about thinking outside the box.

What is the origin of this term? In the 60s and 70s management consulting firms used the 9 dots puzzle to demonstrate lateral thinking. Link all 9 dots using four straight lines or fewer, without lifting the pen and without tracing the same line more than once. The diagram below shows the solution and you can see how the term "thinking outside the box" came about. Thinking outside the box is to think differently, unconventionally, or from a new perspective.

Is it ununsual and strange for this product and the target consumer and outside the digital marketing playbook? I would say yes but in a good way. Sometimes it is more than profits and numbers. It could be about treating the influencers and content creators special. This could lead to building a relationship with them. Some time and money should be spent experimenting, doing different and thinking outside the box. Their marketing worked on me and will probably work on others too. I am thinking this is something fancy I can afford. Sometimes the experts are wrong. It is easy to criticise and without knowing the full of it and the thinking behind a decision. Everything has disadvantages and advantages. I have attended launches as a tech blogger and it was good for me and the brands.

Try and fail than fail to try. It was worth a try. Maybe they will learn that it was a bad idea. Maybe they will see that it could be done better. Maybe they will get stellar results from this. Who knows what their aims and objectives are. I am thinking that they will be open to feedback, both criticism and praises. I am on the praises side but I encourage them to listen to all feedback. My praise might be uncommon and outside the box of criticisms but it is how I feel and that's ok. I don't feel compelled to jump on the bandwagon of criticising. Variety of thought is important.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...