Skip to main content

Microsoft makes learning mathematics a ‘breeze’ as the new school year begins

The below information from Microsoft shared via press release from their Caribbean contact piqued my interest. I loved Maths in my school days as I was much better at it than English and History for example. I even scored a perfect 800 in the SAT Maths section. I know Maths can be a struggle for some and I think students in Trinidad and Tobago and the Caribbean can benefit from this.

Press Release [Trinidad, September 9th 2022] : In the era of distance education, teaching or learning algebra, trigonometry and many other forms of mathematics found throughout Trinidad’s secondary school curriculum has become a challenge. These difficulties can lead to aggravation and anxiety that many experience when faced with learning these complex subjects. To help overcome them, Microsoft designed Microsoft Math Solver, a free tool that allows, step by step, to solve and teach how to solve mathematical problems using Artificial Intelligence.

The app covers several areas of mathematics, from elementary arithmetic and quadratic equations to calculus and statistics. It is enough to take a photo with the camera of the cell phone to the problem you want to solve, regardless of whether it is handwritten or printed or, if you prefer, you can write the mathematical problem on the screen of the smartphone or tablet. Math Solver uses Artificial Intelligence (AI) to instantly recognize the problem and offer an accurate solution. And that's not all. It also provides a step-by-step explanation so that the student can understand the process by which that solution was arrived at and offers additional materials such as worksheets and video tutorials.

The application is able to recognize problems in 22 languages such as German, Spanish, Simplified Chinese and Russian, and to build graphs that facilitate the understanding of the processes to reach the appropriation and subsequent application of mathematical knowledge.

Combined with the newly released Microsoft immersive reader, Microsoft has demonstrated their commitment to empowering students and teachers alike in a post covid-19 school system. Technological solutions such as Microsoft Math Solver, and Microsoft’s Immersive reader enhance opportunities and offer innovative ways to access education. At a time when we've all migrated to the "virtual whole" world, Math Solver helps cement the foundational capabilities that are critical to keeping pace with accelerated digital transformation.

Microsoft’s Math Solver is available on the Google Play store and the Apple app store, it can also be used online in your browser at https://math.microsoft.com/en.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...