Skip to main content

Our tech enabled future in Trinidad and Tobago

Different persons from the ministry of digital transformation, including the minister, have been on local tv talking about the work that they are doing. I have watched the last ones posted to their social media and I want to share my takeaways mixed with my thoughts. I am a techie, a blogger and a citizen and this push to use tech to better our future excites and motivates me. There are 3 pillars being digital economy, digital society and digital government. At the heart of it we want prosperity for people and country. We want to make our lives easier. We are aiming for a connected country starting with the connected Arima project.

One concern that comes up often it that of loss of jobs. We should really be looking at this as a change of jobs and retraining to take up new and better jobs. Look at it as an opportunity more than a loss. When I think about digital government, I think efficiency, better customer service and cost savings. But are we measuring the success of the the things that we are doing? Are we learning and improving as we build? What are the key performance indicators? It is my opinion that we are not good at reporting back to the people. We should have an list of action items, responsible person, due date and status. We should be able to say with evidence if something was a success or failure.

I like the developers hub initiative. It is a great way to get local input and make use of the local talent that we have. It creates an enabling environment for brainstorming. I would like to see a yearly developer survey that can guide us. I would like to also see a channel for us to speak to big tech.

It is said that culture is one of the hardest things to change. What about persons intimidated by tech? The younger generation has to teach and help the older generation. The systems and processes has to be user friendly. There has to be some amount of hand holding as we move to newer ways of doing things. We have to close the digital divide and get tech and internet in everyone's hands. We have the recent digital inclusion survey to guide us. Broadband is seen as the next utility and internet is now considered a human right. The ministry is bringing tech to communities through the access centers.

National e-identity is coming. We can launch e-identity easily but the greater work is in developing systems and reengineering to use that e-identity. We need robust and up to date systems. Systems that are talking to each other. Paperless and online systems. The private sector is being encouraged to join in on the digital transformation journey. This is not an overnight journey. In my mind it is a continuous process. The ministry boasts about being agile and is talking about starting simple. We dont have to have all the answers to start. We don't want to be left behind. I encourage everyone to get on board. Think about changes you can make and ways that you can contribute.

It is a journey more than a destination and we get to learn as we go along. There will always be better ways to do things. Think in terms of people, process, tech and legislation. The strategy and roadmap is coming and we get to be part of this. I want to end with a piece from my blog post, Understanding Digital Transformation in Trinidad and Tobago - What I took from this was that technology is just the enabler. Technology is just the tool. We have to do a lot of non technology work to bring about digital transformation.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

Nur al-Quran

It is 1037am and I have decided to write. I have been listening to the Quran more and more. I have also been trying to learn Arabic casually through social media. I am nearing the end of my second reading of the English Quran. The Quran is the word of God and God also tells us to follow the sunnah and life of the prophet (pbuh). The Quran is a miracle. The more I interact with the Quran, the more complete I feel. It gives my clarity. I have a purpose. I have goals. I have things I should be doing. Islam is a way of life and it builds character. Sometimes I listen to the Quran to forget about this world. This world is not my home. My home is in the hereafter and God willing in heaven. The more I draw closer to the Quran, the more beauty I see and hear and feel. Same goes to God. Same goes for the life of the prophet (pbuh). Same for Islam. If these are all the things I have in this world, I am happy. Reminds me of one of the duas I say daily. I am content with Allah as my Lord, Islam as...

Rain

This is a chapter from my latest book called (G)rains (o)f san(d)s. Learn more about the book here . Thank you God for the rain. It has just started raining here. I can hear the pitter patter on the roof. I can see the dimmed light through the window. The greenery in the yard is enjoying every chance of rain. The days have been extra hot this year. They say we are experiencing a super el nino in Trinidad. Given this every bit of rainfall feels special. Water is life. Without water there can be no life as we know it. Rain is part of the water cycle. Rain falling is like therapy. A calm state comes over my body. My mind relaxes. I appreciate my home and my shelter to keep me dry and safe. The rain is mentioned as a sign from God in the Quran and how it gives life to a lifeless land. The rain complements the sunshine as part of nature's balance. Sometimes we have to endure storms and floods and even droughts but there are lessons in these events. Community spirit is heightened and our...