Skip to main content

0G networks in Trinidad

What is a 0G network? 0G is wireless technology originating before cell phone technology such as PTT and IMTS. This was analog in nature. Today, a 0G network is a simple, secure, low cost and low power wireless network designed to send or receive small messages between IoT devices. There is no need for a SIM card. Sigfox is a major player in this space and has built out a 0G network across the world with a bunch of network operators using their technology.

I reached out to the Ministry of Digital Transformation, iGovTT and TATT in the same email and asked the following, "Is the Ministry or iGovTT doing any work to utilise 0G networks? Would this be part of connected Arima? What would be the role of TATT in us making use of 0G networks?" Only TATT responded as follows, "As the telecommunications regulator and spectrum management authority, TATT’s role will involve certification of wireless equipment to be used for 0G networks (i.e. equipment certification application), licensing of spectrum, where required and authorisation/non-objection to the purpose of use."

From my research so far there seems to be no 0G network roll out in Trinidad and Tobago. If you have knowledge of any then leave a comment for us. I am thinking that 5G will take some time to launch in Trinidad and this 0G network has some good selling points that makes using it in Trinidad inviting. See my related blog post, IoT examples for Trinidad and Tobago. Jamaica has recognised the usefulness of the technology and locally based company Amber is the first licensed operator in Jamaica. They have identified use cases like asset tracking, monitoring dam levels and panic devices among other uses.

Why do we need 0G if we have 5G? According to Sigfox's website, "0G and 5G technology do not directly compete with one another, neither can one replace the other. As technology develops, the world will come to depend greatly on the ultra-high speed and bandwidth enabled by 5G, while 0G acts as a safety net to ensure that we are always connected to one another. The fourth industrial revolution will be marked by massive Internet of Things adoption, and will rely on the full spectrum of connectivity from 0G to 5G." I was still unclear after reading that and I reached out to Sigfox.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

Rain

This is a chapter from my latest book called (G)rains (o)f san(d)s. Learn more about the book here . Thank you God for the rain. It has just started raining here. I can hear the pitter patter on the roof. I can see the dimmed light through the window. The greenery in the yard is enjoying every chance of rain. The days have been extra hot this year. They say we are experiencing a super el nino in Trinidad. Given this every bit of rainfall feels special. Water is life. Without water there can be no life as we know it. Rain is part of the water cycle. Rain falling is like therapy. A calm state comes over my body. My mind relaxes. I appreciate my home and my shelter to keep me dry and safe. The rain is mentioned as a sign from God in the Quran and how it gives life to a lifeless land. The rain complements the sunshine as part of nature's balance. Sometimes we have to endure storms and floods and even droughts but there are lessons in these events. Community spirit is heightened and our...

Nur al-Quran

It is 1037am and I have decided to write. I have been listening to the Quran more and more. I have also been trying to learn Arabic casually through social media. I am nearing the end of my second reading of the English Quran. The Quran is the word of God and God also tells us to follow the sunnah and life of the prophet (pbuh). The Quran is a miracle. The more I interact with the Quran, the more complete I feel. It gives my clarity. I have a purpose. I have goals. I have things I should be doing. Islam is a way of life and it builds character. Sometimes I listen to the Quran to forget about this world. This world is not my home. My home is in the hereafter and God willing in heaven. The more I draw closer to the Quran, the more beauty I see and hear and feel. Same goes to God. Same goes for the life of the prophet (pbuh). Same for Islam. If these are all the things I have in this world, I am happy. Reminds me of one of the duas I say daily. I am content with Allah as my Lord, Islam as...