Skip to main content

Learning from defunct projects in tech

Update (October 12 2022) : I was told by BEF on facebook chat that the Barbados Free Wifi initiative has ended. The national goal was achieved. Coverage moved from less than 10% to over 80%. Free access is almost universal. I am glad for this new information. I had sent an email to the project champion. I will try to get from her what was learnt from this project. I will contact our Ministry of Digital Transformation in Trinidad and see what their thoughts are on doing something similar in Trinidad.

Original blog post : Who remembers the Barbados Free Wifi initiative? It was a project of the Barbados Entrepreneurship Foundation. The idea was that businesses would configure their network to provide a guest network and this would happen all over Barbados. From all my research so far this project is no longer active. I was rooting for this project and what it could achieve and then it could be copied in other Caribbean countries like Trinidad and Tobago. This would be strong for marketing tourism.

Initially I had titled this blog post "learning from failed projects in tech" but I realised that I was being harsh and ungrateful. Much time and effort goes into these projects. These projects would have realised some objectives and for some time. I searched for a better word than failed and came up with defunct. According to the dictionary defunct means no longer existing or functioning.

The main point that I want to get across is that there are valuable lessons we can learn from these projects. Then there is the possibility of reviving projects or similar. The Barbados Free Wifi initiative is just one example and there are others that we can think of. Some others that I can think of are the laptop for all secondary students project in Trinidad, C@ribnet, HackTT, F1RST, Microsoft Innovation Center in Trinidad, TeleCarib Labs in St Lucia, Computer and Tech Expo in Trinidad, Revolution 3D Printing, TechLink Barbados, Hike Transport, Carnival GPS and Chune. What are some that you can think of? What are some tech projects in the Caribbean that you wish was still here?

All this talk about defunct tech projects is making me think about the Tamana Park in Trinidad. Can we revive this project before it is too late? I have been trying to get the powers that be to answer some questions but without result so far. In project management there is a lessons learned process where we identify, document, analyse, store and retrieve lessons. There are no failures and only lessons to be learned. We should not expect all projects to be a success. There might be good reasons to shutter a project. The important thing is that we are learning and become better than before. Then share what we learn with others.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...