Skip to main content

Celebrate the small things

My art piece called "celebration"

The new year is a time of reflection and planning. Last year I wrote a blog post for the new year and I am doing so again this year. I can feel the end of year and new year because the days get cooler and the nights and mornings get colder. The parang starts playing on the radio. The Christmas festivities usher in the end of the year. The stores start giving out calenders. The groceries bring out the butter cookies and the nuts you have to buss. Pastelles go on sale by the dozens.

Did you accomplish your goals in 2022? Did you learn new things? Did you unlearn some things? These are questions we should all be asking as we welcome the new year. The worst of the pandemic is over and the hype and panic and discomfort has passed. Humanity and the human spirit has overcome. I say a prayer for myself, my community and my country. May God guide us and bless us. May He give us strength and humility. The number 23 is my favorite so I am thinking 2023 will be my favorite year.

I will be 43 years old in 2023. I don't feel that old. I mean sometimes persons call me uncle so my maturity and wiseness is showing. I would describe the past year as productive and fruitful. My theme for 2023 would be celebrate the small things. I want to be rooted in gratitude and contentment. I want to face my tough moments with calm and smarts.

Alot of persons would be excited for the return of Carnival in Trinidad. This is us. This is who we are. I stay home but I can see and feel whats going on through social media. Carnival is art. Carnival is celebration. I have included my art piece called "celebration" in this blog post. Let the new year be about celebration. About winning. About beating the odds. I want to create more art and write more poetry in the new year.

I am thankful. It is too easy to take for granted what we have and how far we have come. The birds chirping in the morning. The cup of orange juice in the morning. That fresh feeling from a good night's sleep. A smile and compliment from a stranger. Armed with a heart full of gratitude we can take on the days and the world. I celebrate life and I view every day as an opportunity to pursue our goals and dreams.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...