Skip to main content

Stack Overflow Developer Survey

The latest Stack Overflow survey results is out. I wish we had a similar survey for Trinidad and Tobago and the region. It is useful to get a sense of what developers are wanting, what they are using, the challenges and so much more. Software developers form a large group of the tech ecosystem. The hardware is useless without the developers. Quality systems and processes take skillful developers. I looked through the survey results and these are my quick takeaways

- Many persons are choosing coding as a career path
- Perl language has lost its popularity in the developer space to other languages. This has been for some time. But Perl developers are highly paid and in demand. So you can make some money by learning an older language.
- Trinidad and Tobago had a measely 20 persons complete the survey. This is unacceptable.
- 53.06% of respondents started coding between 11 - 17 years of age. This fits with my idea that coding should be mandatory in Secondary school.
- 91% of all respondents identify as a male. We really need to work on attracting women as coders.
- JavaScript was the most commonly used programming language among respondents. No surprises there.
- Git is a fundamental tool that every developer should have mastery of
- I was surprised to see Windows still be the most popular OS. Seems like every new hire on my LinkedIn feed gets a Mac.
- I see COBOL as one of the most dreaded languages. Just like I remembered it.
- I learnt of a new editor that I would love to try - Neovim
- Most persons visit Google or Stack Overflow when they get stuck

One of things I would like to see is more persons using Stack Overflow to answer questions. Give back to the platform that has given us so much.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...