Skip to main content

Celebrating Steve Jobs

I have never owned an Apple device. Hopefully in the future that changes. The main reason? I just dont have the money for those. But that does not stop me from admiring Steve Jobs. Apple and Samsung are the leading smartphone brands in Trinidad. Apple is a hugely successful company and Steve Jobs has left a legacy. One of my favorite quotes from Steve Jobs is "Everybody should learn to program a computer, because it teaches you how to think." I have been calling for tech and coding to be made mandatory in our schools for the longest time, just like Maths and English.

Steve Jobs was born on the 24th February 1955 and left us in 2011 at the age of 56. Did you know that his middle name was Paul? He cofounded Apple with Steve Wozniak. His father was Syrian and his mother was German-American. He was adopted shortly after his birth. According to what I am reading on wikipedia, growing up Steve had difficulty making friends with children his own age and was seen by his classmates as a "loner". I can relate to being a loner. Jobs started his battle with cancer in 2003. In 2011 he left us. Steve's final words were "Oh wow. Oh wow. Oh wow."

I have been browsing the tweets on twitter and many persons are celebrating this great human being. He was a genius. One of the greatest minds of all time. He has changed the world. He was a leader. I could go on and on. His impact and legacy has certainly inspired me. Each one of us has the capacity to make a difference. We can be passionate about the things we do. We can dream. We can leave a positive mark on this world. I strongly think that the next Steve Jobs will come from Trinidad and Tobago or the Caribbean.

The key to being successful is to love what you do. See my blog post technology is my passion. Steve Jobs has said that he was lucky because he had found what he loved to do early in life. Love what you do and work smart. Dont be afraid of failures. Actually there are no failures, only lessons learnt. Steve often spoke about his lessons learnt and how he overcame. Sometimes bad decisions lead to good decisions. Share this blog and share in the comments below your memories of Steve Jobs.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...