Skip to main content

Grenada ICT Week - the future of technology in the public sector

We in the Caribbean share a similar journey. We are considered small island developing states. We can learn from each other. We are challenged by some of the same things. We are all trying to use technology for country development. The Grenada ICT Week happens at the Grenada Trade Centre from February 25 to March 3 2023. Local, regional and international experts discuss the increasing role of technology in business, government, and society. I signed up for the Public Sector Forum through online participation.

In researching and to learn more about what is happening in Grenada, I found this presentation on the Caribbean Development Bank website from 2019 titled Grenada's Public Service Transformation and a vision was clearly defined. Government needs to be smarter and resilient. Doing business should be simple, fast and convenient. They should be guided by data driven policies, regulations and processes. There should be flexible deployment of resources. There should be a whole-of-government approach to work. I like how this is expressed and this is probably still applicable today with some tweaking.

I tuned in to the live stream and here are my takeaways. Bevil Wooding pointed out that Grenada and the region has not made full use of technology for several reasons. We have to get the most out of the investments we make in the digital future. Government and private sector collaboration is needed. There has to be movement from talk to action. Rodney Taylor from the CTU gave a recorded video speech. He said that we have to keep up with the pace of technology. The aim is to make the lives of citizens easier. Technology is the easy part. We have to change the way we think. We have to innovate and collaborate.

Minister Lennox Andrews responsible for ICT in Grenada gave us his words. He said it is inspiring to see young and bright West Indians wanting to help people and see our region move forward. Government services must be digital. There needs to be policy and frameworks. Citizens in Grenada must be able to participate with internet and smart devices. Egovernment has several benefits. High on the agenda in Grenada is the Digital Government for Resilience Project. Projects focusing on cybersecurity, providing internet and laptops for the underpriveleged and providing public wifi are also on the agenda.

Naela Serras from ICANN gave some remarks. Vincent Roberts of NTRC in Grenada also gave some remarks. He said Grenada lacks a physical address infrastruture. This matters in ecommerce and the delivery of goods. The NTRC (National Telecommunications Regulatory Commission) for Grenada gave a presentation on their universal service fund projects and initiatives. In the final presentation several policy priority items were identified which were infrastructure, open initiatives, digital entrepreneurship, digital leadership and global positioning. I applaud the organisers and participants and would like to see more events like this in the Caribbean in the future. Progress is being made and this warms my heart. There are benefits to digital transformation but these must reach citizens.

Comments

Unknown said…
Very informative. Nice to see you also covering tech in the Caribbean.

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...