Skip to main content

Guyana's Silica City

What is silica? This is a naturally occuring and common mineral. Silicon is made from silica. Silicon material is commonly used as a semiconductor in electronics. Guyana has significant deposits of silica. I am guessing that these things would have influenced the naming of Silica City. Similar to how we talk about Silicon Valley.

Guyana's economy is booming as they have become an oil and gas producing nation. I am happy for them and I wish for them that they don't make the mistakes we made here in Trinidad and Tobago. Maintaining a diversified economy will be key. Understanding that tech will be a driver and enabler of country development will also be key.

Silica City has been an idea of President Ali since 2013. Ali has said recently that Silica City will showcase Guyana as a tech-driven economy and society. A major component of this would be BPOs. Silica City will be a smart city. The city will be powered by renewable energy. It will contain an innovation village in which they are in talks with MIT about. It will be a home for startups. I have heard talk of there being a tech university.

The project is attracting many investors. In researching for this blog post I found it hard to get details especially on how technology will be utilised. It would have been nice if the project had a website with these details. I am very interested in the smart city components and I would like to compare those to what we have in our connected Arima smart city project.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...