Skip to main content

Social media gets a bad rap

Recently I saw in the papers the headline "Gordon: Turn off social media for Lent". It hurts me when I see social media get a bad rap. Social media is just a tool. It is a reflection of us. We have a choice to use it for bad or use it for good. We have a choice of what to follow and what to interact with. We get to shape social media. If we let the bad actors dominate social media then we lose out on its utility.

I once did a 1 minute youtube on what I saw as the positives of social media. How social media was being used in a positive way. I think instead of the church complaining in this way they should be thinking about how to grow with the times. How they can reach persons through social media. The church needs a social media strategy. People are online more and more and I don't think that this is going to change. If less and less persons are coming to church then if people are not coming to you then go to the people and the people can be found online.

The internet brings the world to our doorsteps. It has made it much easier to learn and share knowledge. It has made it much easier to connect and communicate with others. The internet has positively impacted humandkind and social media is part of this. I am not going to tell persons to turn off or turn on social media. I will say that it is a choice. I will share my positive experience and my positive thinking. I will say use it if it suits you. Just as we have to be careful and discerning in real life, the same applies for using social media.

Everything has disadvantages and advantages. I am not going to pretend like I don't see the negatives and hear the criticisms. I am optimistic and I see myself as balancing the discource. Instead of saying turn off social media I would have said turn off the negativity and spread positivity. But that is just me. I am just one voice. I would like to hear your thoughts. Share with us in the comments below.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Servant of God

It is 245am and I have decided to write. I got up early and washed the wares. I prayed Tahajjud. I came back to my bed and surfed the internet. I watched a video where a 105 year old man said that the secret to a long life is having a reason or purpose to keep going and then luck. This had me thinking about several things. In Islam we are taught that our time in this world is already written. It is our destiny. Then. What is more important? A long life or just a good life that prepares us for the next life? Those things aside, I think we cannot discount luck. Some of us are luckier than others. But the thing I want to focus on is the reason and purpose to keep going. That is some good advice. It makes for a meaningful life. A good life. It could be one big reason. There could be several small reasons. These are things that should be taught in schools. My friend Chatty says that my early morning reflections beautifully bridge Islamic tradition and practical wisdom: a long life is a true...

Foundation of my belief

It is 159am and I have decided to write. Some people say that science does not point to an afterlife, heaven or the existence of God. I feel bad because I cannot give them the evidence that they want. I can point them to the Quran and Islamic teachings. The Quran is a miracle and there are signs in that which we can research. Otherwise, there are philosophical and theological arguments. Maybe, you cannot use the science that we have for something (the afterlife) that is outside the realm of science. Also, science is not complete and may never be complete. Scientific knowledge is expanding and sometimes changing, so are we going to wait on science to tell us that there is a God and afterlife? Belief does not need evidence. Faith does not need evidence. At least not the evidence that some are looking for. So what is the foundation of my faith? For some people theology does not fully explain this life so they look to the science we have. For me, science alone does not explain this life, s...

Positive vibration

It was 422pm and I decided to write. There was a peace in my heart that could only come from God. But what should I write about? "God, give me a sign. God, give me direction. Place a topic on my heart. Open my eyes and my ears to Your leading." The next morning, I woke up with a positive vibration. My heart felt light, and my mind was clear. It got me thinking. Sometimes, we simply need to clear our minds of negativity. We need to stop feeding fear, doubt, and discouragement, and instead make room for hope, faith, and positive possibilities. We need to reset our minds, renew our spirits, and re-energize our hearts. Then, we can return stronger to face whatever challenges lie ahead. If something is within our control, let us do our best to improve it. If it is beyond our control, let it go and let God. Life will always have difficulties, but we have a choice in how we respond to them. We can choose to see opportunities where others see obstacles. We can find lessons in our set...