Sometimes technology does not work

I spent part of my Sunday watching this podcast with Marques Brownlee and Hasan Minhaj and I am glad I did. I am all about learning and becoming better. I stumbled on a sketch that led me to the podcast. I think Hasan is cool and it is also cool that we share a first name. What I took away was that tech is not perfect and tech has problems and it affects some more than others. Watching this has challenged me to always keep this in mind. I am a tech evangelist and the last thing I want is persons turning into technophobes. At the end of the day people want solutions to their problems and I think tech can help but we dont want to be creating bigger problems.

Sometimes the tech does not work but how do we know if we don't try different things and experiment. I do believe sometimes it boils down to being patient. Perfection requires practice and it might be unreasonable to expect things to work without any effort. I do understand that no one shoe fits all and it is extremely difficult to make everyone happy. Some are going to be happy with the tech. Some are going to be angry. Some are going to use the tech for good and some are going to use it for bad.

Through ideation and iteration we can make things better. I am an optimist. We all have different perspectives and different experiences. My primary perspective is that of a techie and tech blogger. I have to big up the tech to balance the discourse. Generally I share the positive because I see too much of the negative already. Hasan is an end user. The takeaway is look at things from all sides and balance is a key to life.

Go check out my review of the book Technopoly. Technology is just a tool. Technology is just an enabler. Are we going to blame the technology or the humans behind the technology. I understand where Hasan is coming from. I am all ears. And I say where there are problems and we agree lets come together and address these problems. We just have to be careful that we dont lose the positives while addressing the negatives. Dont throw out the baby with the bath water so to speak. Lets do that now. Watch the podcast, read my article and share your comments below. Lets have a conversation about this. Is it a technology problem or a people problem? I kind of explored the topic before but differently in a previous blog post.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How does the sun set?

What is love?

What is the story behind the broken kite?

What is a beautiful word?

Surfing