Skip to main content

The usefulness of online forums

As I have said before, the internet brings the world to our doorsteps. It has made it much easier to learn and share knowledge. It has made it much easier to connect and communicate with others. Online forums are platforms used to connect with people with similar interests and discuss topics. Topics on forums are usually categorised and the forums are usually moderated. As a blogger sometimes I use forums to crowd source answers to my questions. I also use forums to keep up with what is happening in the local and international tech space. I am also on a forum to give and get support with mental health.

Eforums was mentioned in the national ICT plan under headline targets as "50000 users participate in eForums moderated by Government". I tried several times to find out when we are going to see this eforum but got no responses. In a previous blog post I stated, we can develop an open forum platform where persons can share problems and then persons can offer solutions. Problems and solutions can be voted on. The platform can be incentivised to encourage participation.

Most forums have moderation and rules just like we would in real life. Generally we should be kind and respectful and thoughtful. We want to add value to the discussions and the online community. At the same time we have to balance this with a live and let live approach to avoid conflict and confrontation and keep it peaceful. Through forums you learn how to get along with others. Sometimes the rules are ridiculous. For example the Trinidad and Tobago reddit group does not allow me to share my blog posts because it is considered self promotion. I left that reddit group and created my own.

Forums can be safe spaces for persons. Also you can choose to be anonymous. Through online forums we can share personal experiences with others and get different perspectives that can broaden our understanding. Online forums provide for community building and support and encouragement. We can network with others. Online forums are convenient and accessible 24 hours and 7 days a week. They are cost effective to set up. Online forums can bridge cultural and geographical barriers. They are accessible to the differently abled and others who may find it difficult to attend in person events. We can improve our communication skills. Many forums are open to search engine indexing which can help others searching for answers.

You can start your own forum. One of the best platforms I have come across is Discourse. I find it has useful features, easy to use and mobile friendly. Keep in mind that info online and on forums may not always be accurate so you always have to do due diligence.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...