Skip to main content

Things that helped me as a coder

I have been thinking about traits of mines that have helped me as a coder and I am sharing. I think our traits are a combination of what we were born with and what we were conditioned and this is debateable. Over time we come to have strengths and weaknesses. I think anything can be learnt and unlearnt. Some things are harder for some than others. We play to our strengths and try to work on our weaknesses. 

I started young. We had a computer lab in secondary school. I developed a passion for tech and coding during secondary school. I am a problem solver and I think in terms of solutions. I would much quicker offer a solution than complain about something. I feel like I am naturally gifted and I was born with some talent. My mom let me choose what I wanted to be. I was not pressured to be a doctor or lawyer or something that I had no interest in.

I am persistent and patient. Sometimes debugging code will test you. I am creative. I am good at searching for answers and I ask plenty questions. I am good at following instructions and I am a good listener. I am fascinated by the way things work. I like building stuff. I think of all the possibilities. I am a minimalist and I want the easiest way to do things.

I learn quickly and I can learn on my own. Today it doesn't cost much to learn to code and be a coder. I am not motivated by money, I enjoy working with tech. One of my university professors in a recommendation for me described me as being extremely intelligent and quick in picking up new concepts. He said I was an independent learner and an outstanding problem solver.

I have not been doing much coding over the last few years so I am rusty. But it would not take me long to get up to speed if need be. If you are interested in becoming a coder check out my youtube video - Learning to code, programming tips. Also check out this code.org video - What most schools dont teach.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...