Skip to main content

What I learnt about Quantum Cryptography

I asked chatgpt to give me some suggestions for tech topics I could write about. One suggestion was "The potential of quantum cryptography for secure communication". I had never heard about quantum cryptography before and my interest was piqued. I set out to see how much I could learn within a day and share what I learned on my blog.

Lets start with quantum computing. Quantum computing uses quantum bits (qubits) that can be both 0 and 1 at the same time. The power of quantum computing poses a threat to traditional cryptography thus researchers have started looking at quantum cryptography. Crypt means hidden and graphy means writing and together cryptography is hidden (or secure) writing. Quantum cryptography involves quantum entanglement and quantum key distribution. It is at an experimental stage and changing and some time before it becomes practice.

I dont get how some articles are saying it is unbreakable and I found out that there are ways to break it like intercepting and resending, trojan horse attacks and side channel attacks. But I did also read that attacks would have to be sophicated and researchers are already working on improving the technology to counter ways of breaking it.

I had a question that chatgpt gave me a contradictory answer to. What if my key is stolen? Then I found research on cryptography without keys. My learning also brought me to device independent quantum cryptography, mistrustful quantum cryptography, quantum coin flipping and position-based quantum cryptography. I dont believe in unbreakable. I think it is always going to be a race between security and hacking. This was a fun exercise for me but my brain hurts now. Was this topic new to you? Share your thoughts in the comments below.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...