Skip to main content

Choosing local software developers and software companies in Trinidad and Tobago

Their is a perspective that companies in Trinidad prefer foreign for software developers and software development services. I came up with some pointers on how I think we can change this and I asked ChatGPT to expand on these.

1. Encouraging a tech startup culture: Fostering a tech startup culture involves creating an environment that supports and nurtures entrepreneurial ventures. This can be done through initiatives such as organizing startup competitions, hackathons, and incubator/accelerator programs. Providing resources, mentorship, and access to funding can help aspiring entrepreneurs turn their ideas into successful businesses.

2. Involving the Ministry of Digital Transformation (MDT): Engaging the MDT can be beneficial in several ways. They can collaborate with industry stakeholders to develop policies and regulations that promote local tech talent and businesses. The MDT can also support initiatives aimed at enhancing digital literacy, skill development, and technology adoption across the country.

3. More and better advertising: Effective advertising campaigns can raise awareness about the capabilities and successes of local software developers and tech companies. Promoting success stories and highlighting the quality of work being produced can help change the perception that foreign developers are always superior.

4. Celebrating and awarding successes: Recognizing and celebrating the achievements of local tech startups and developers through awards, events, and media coverage can inspire others and demonstrate that Trinidad has a thriving tech ecosystem. This recognition can encourage more investment and support for local talent.

5. Forming tech startup alliances: Creating alliances and partnerships among tech startups, incubators, accelerators, educational institutions, and industry associations can facilitate knowledge sharing, collaboration, and resource pooling. These alliances can provide a platform for startups to learn from each other, access mentorship, and leverage collective strengths.

6. Looking beyond Trinidad for startups: Encouraging startups to look beyond Trinidad and Tobago for market opportunities can help generate foreign exchange and showcase the capabilities of local talent on an international scale. Encouraging participation in global tech events, fostering international collaborations, and facilitating market access can contribute to the growth and visibility of local startups.

7. Improving access to capital: Access to capital is crucial for startups to scale and grow. Efforts should be made to create a supportive ecosystem that connects startups with investors, venture capital firms, angel investors, and government funding programs. Providing financial incentives, grants, and loans tailored for tech startups can help address funding challenges.

8. Showing students a future in starting a business: It's essential to inspire students and demonstrate that entrepreneurship is a viable career path. This can be achieved through educational programs, mentorship initiatives, guest lectures by successful entrepreneurs, and showcasing local startup success stories. Encouraging entrepreneurship as a viable option can motivate students to pursue their ideas and contribute to the local tech ecosystem.

9. Rewarding companies that choose local: Implementing policies or recognition programs that reward companies for prioritizing local talent and services can incentivize them to consider local developers and startups. This can include preferential treatment in government contracts or recognition as a "local tech champion" to promote their commitment to the local tech industry.

10. Better networking by techies: Encouraging networking opportunities among tech professionals through meetups, conferences, and online communities can facilitate collaboration, knowledge sharing, and the exchange of ideas. Enhanced networking can help foster a sense of community, boost professional development, and create business connections that benefit the local tech ecosystem.

Implementing these strategies can help change the perception and create a supportive environment for local software developers and startups in Trinidad and Tobago. It requires a collaborative effort from the government, educational institutions, industry stakeholders, and the tech community to create a thriving tech ecosystem that values and supports local talent.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...