Skip to main content

Trinidad and Tobago Developer Hub Thoughts

I like the direction this is heading. I like the idea of it. I think that it can be innovative. I think once they react positively and actively to the feedback they get, this will be a success. I am cheering for this to be a success.

I saw that it was launched today on their social media. They did not say what the url was but I made a guess and it was there - dhub.mdt.gov.tt

I had watched Delving Deeper on TTT where they talked about the Developer Hub. One of the questions was about challenges. I think one (a big one) of the challenges would come from the selection of ideas/solutions. Some people might feel cheated that their ideas/solutions are not being selected. The Ministry might be accused of bias and favoritism and cronyism. I think what might help with this is that a component of the choosing of ideas/solutions has to come from public voting and scoring and also from other developers rather than solely from a few persons in the Ministry. The Ministry has to be open with scoring, criteria and selection.

Also, we are asking developers to come up with ideas and solutions to our problems BUT we don't have a central place where problems and solutions can be discussed in this country by the citizens. We are often disconnected from the problems faced by others. As a developer it would be nice if I could see a listing of the problems people are facing. If I know the problems then it is better for me to offer solutions. Maybe one of the first things that can be worked on by the developer hub is an open platform to discuss problems and solutions.

I wrote about this on my blog last year


We seem to be limited to a set of challenges that the ministry has decided on. These are a handful of solutions that the Ministry has decided on. I think they should make the hub distinguishable from bidding on projects. Show us how this is different from the government putting out 5 RFPs for solutions that they determined we needed.

I see two tools are available at the moment are Linux foundation courses and GitLab. I use Github at the moment and that would be my preference. But if Gitlab has paid features for free under an MDT arrangement then that would be a selling point. It would be nice if training could be in the form of a publicly available youtube channel and developer blog. That is a nice way to promote local voices and local content.

At the moment I am a tech blogger and hobbyist coder writing a book called "Learning to code again". At the moment I have this idea of building a web app that shows the max temp for the day. Also a map with temp readings and graphs with historical data. I am going to start with mock data and a mock api but it would be nice if I can use the developer hub to liaise with MET Office to get them to create the API that any developer can use. This would also fall under open data. I am interested in how the hub can help hobbyist coders or any coder who wants to build their own apps using government APIs.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...